Metacam

• 10 Replies

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
Metacam
« on: August 21, 2010, 09:43 »
One of my girls is limping aroung, she must of sprained it or something when they were running about,  shes not putting weight on it, prefering to stand on one leg but will then walk but obviously with a limp.   One of my other girls was like this last yr and i just left her for a couple of days and she was fine,   I was just wondering, i have some Metacam in the house that was left over from our dog and i was wondering if i could give her abit on a piece of bread for pain relief, anti inflamatory.    nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

henamoured

• Experienced Member
Re: Metacam
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 14:20 »
Hi Nicky
I've used metacam and I should think it would be ok ad hoc as it were.  :)
Only thing I noticed was that it did seem to make my girl a bit dosy and she didn't eat as much so might be worth keeping an eye on her food intake and that the other girls don't pick on her.
Hope she gets better quickly.

carolbriar

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 16:24 »
Hi Nicky
Hope your hens leg is ok.  Don't know about Metacam as I've only used it for dogs.
Hopefully by tomorrow it will have improved a lot.
Carol
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 16:54 »
I have used Metacam for dogs. I have heard of it being used for chooks on this site. However, I would not use it ad hoc. Over dosing can cause organ damage. I hope your hen gets better. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 19:51 »
Oooh, no sorry - didn't mean to imply you should overdose her, of course - rather that it would be alright given for a couple of days while her leg heals rather than a course of treatment over a week or two (as was prescribed for my little hen by the vet).
Just wonder though... I suspect it might work in the same way ibuprofen does for humans in that its anti-inflammatory effect is cumulative so that you need to keep administering it for 2-3 days before it has a full effect?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 23:34 »
I have used metacam with chickens but the dosage is worked out by their weight so I would suggest you chat to your vet Nicky to get the correct dose  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

carolbriar

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 09:35 »
Hi Nicky
Hows your hen this morning?  Which one is it - not your new one I hope.

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 10:23 »
Hi Nicky
Hows your hen this morning?  Which one is it - not your new one I hope.

i decided against the Metacam, yes its the new girl,  i suspect shes done it when shes been running from Stacey,  shes much better this morning so im sure shes just brusied it,  im glad to say the chasing has nearly all but gone and shes slowly becoming one of the girls    nickyx

carolbriar

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 12:41 »
That's great that she's looking better.  Hope the chasing has stopped! 
Carol

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 17:21 »
That's great that she's looking better.  Hope the chasing has stopped! 
Carol

She seemed to be really limping there this afternoon, so i rang the vet just to make sure i could use the Metacam.  No probs there, so shes had her first dose on a bit of bread, see how she is in a couple of days on the metacam and if no better then i will take her in, im sure shes just bruised it bless her, no obvious signs of cuts.   Nickyx

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 20:11 »
hubby and i just had another look at her and now im concerned its Bumble foot,   the pad is swollen and also the base of the leg going down into the toes is swollen too,  theres no obvious signs of a scab, ive done a bit of googling and many of the piccys show a black scab,  its a soft swelling too not hard atall.   Gonna take her to the vets in the morning just to be on the safe side,   i dont know wot it is with me and animals, i always seem to get the rough ride with them      :(          nickyx

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 29 queries.