No dig potatoes using grass clippings

• 5 Replies

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
No dig potatoes using grass clippings
« on: April 26, 2024, 17:59 »
I've just watched a youtube vid where someone put potatoes on the ground then covered them with grass clippings. Has anyone tried this? Do the grass clippings get too hot/turn into a mat? On the vid the woman only showed her starting the process then harvesting a different crop

Goosegirl

Re: No dig potatoes using grass clippings
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2024, 09:32 »
Last year I grew my pots in tubs and covered the top with grass clippings and they didn't turn into a mat, they just helped with water retention. Make sure you haven't used lawn weed and feed until the lawn had had 3-4 mowings.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2024, 12:00 »
I've just watched a youtube vid where someone put potatoes on the ground then covered them with grass clippings. Has anyone tried this? Do the grass clippings get too hot/turn into a mat? On the vid the woman only showed her starting the process then harvesting a different crop
I don't see how this would work if they were just under a layer of grass clippings, tbh.

In this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5gOrUMEuw8  she says she uses a 6in layer of grass plus 6-8ins of old chicken bedding... and then says she earthed them up( with more clippings/manure I suppose) so that's clearly enough for the potatoes to grow as normal..
It is however, an awful lot of material to collect... great if you do actually have access to large quantities of old chicken bedding and lawn clippings, though  :)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2024, 12:00 by mumofstig »

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2024, 13:19 »
Yes that's the woman, MoS. I watched different vids though, it appears she has a few. You never seem to watch her go the full year with her potatoes, it cuts to different years/veg plots. I might try one potato using my grass clippings(no weed or feed or anything). I have quite a large lawn so should have enough clippings, although there's lots of moss in it

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2024, 14:08 »
Do you have the chicken manured bedding, cos to my thinking, that is more important than the grass....

Obviously I've no personal experience, though. If you do try putting potatoes on the soil and just covering over with grass clipping, don't forget to let us know how you get on :) Good luck!

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2024, 22:35 »
I do "no dig" potatoes, but I do put them in a hole a few inches down.i earth them up with lawn clippings, straw and comfrey. Only first earlies which need little earthing up, I don't think I could do it that way with maincrops at all, they require far too much earthing up and I don't have any spare compost when I would need it for them.

xx
Earthing up potatoes with grass clippings

Started by Hitwoman on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 07, 2019, 12:03
by Iecabus
xx
Can you earth up potatoes with grass clippings?

Started by Teen76 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 29, 2008, 20:49
by Trillium
xx
grass clippings....

Started by chopkins1313 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 16, 2010, 20:49
by rock_chick
xx
Grass clippings

Started by Baz on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post April 26, 2007, 21:22
by purplebat

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 46 queries.