Fish in pond

• 8 Replies

mrs mud

Fish in pond
« on: January 24, 2012, 17:19 »
Hi

We moved house 2 months ago and have two fish ponds.  The previous owner left a jam jar of food pellets, but no idea what kind.  So far I have seen four 3 inch goldfish in one of the ponds, and one 8/10 inch black fish in the other pond.  They all appear very healthy.

Can't remember what I was going to ask now  ???

Oh yes, the four little goldfish are very active so I have been giving them about six pellets (in total) each day, which they eat straight away.  The large black fish just sits very still, even when I sneak up on it, I dropped two pellets onto the pond and he?? made no move.

Just wondered if any experienced pond owners could offer any thoughts, am I giving enough food, should I buy new food, does the big fish need different food to keep him?? healthy, there may even be more fish

Thanks  :)
"Potters always play dirty!"

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Fish in pond
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 17:59 »
Hi and welcome to the site mrs mud.

We have a large pond which has plenty of plants and bugs in.  We don't feed the fish in the winter as they stop feeding on the pellets in the winter.  Have noticed that ours are quite active though so might have to try a few pellets to see if they will eat them.  Any uneaten pellets will decay in the water and put it out of balance so only put a few in at a time. Remove any that are not eaten. If your pond is big enough the black fish may be eating bugs or has enough meat on it to see it through the winter.  We use the fish pellets which float, they come in a round tub which you can get from Morrisons and the like.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 18:33 »
As ANHBUC said, usually at this time in the year fish in ponds are not fed. One reason is becausoftene it is not warm enough for their body temperature to get up to the level where full digestion takes place before it is cold at night again.

The only food ever used by fish kepers is a light, wheatgerm food as this is digested so quickly, but tbh most ponds have enough nourishment for fish with their slow metabolism in the winter to cope well.

So please don't worry  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 19:29 »
I`m intrigued to find out what the black fish is , tench, koi or just an uncoloured goldfish so let us know.
As said before no need to worry about winter feeding as they will 'tick over' on the bits they find in the pond. That said i have been feeding my fish a little all this warm winter, just wilko pond pellets as most pond fish (and wild fish) do not need or get special wheatgerm food.

The people that spend £2500 on a koi are entitled to be paranoid !  :)

mrs mud

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 10:05 »
Thanks everyone, very much

Not sure but I think the large black fish may be a goldfish or fantail, his (he looks like a he to me, tall dark and moody, like my OH  8)) tail is long, wide and wispy, he hides in a dark shadow under an overhanging shrub so I haven't got a clear view of him yet.

If I may be so bold and ask another question  :ohmy:

The little pond that has the four small goldfish is not really me, it's a bit twee, it's like a wishing well sort of thing.  Would it be possible to transfer the goldfish into the big pond at some point in the future ?
ponds.jpg

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 10:35 »
Goldfish are tough and will transfer easily.
IMO ponds are like sheds , you cannot have too many so move the fish and leave the small pond for the frogspawn  and taddies ! :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 10:37 by 8doubles »

ANHBUC

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 14:09 »
Goldfish are tough and will transfer easily.
IMO ponds are like sheds , you cannot have too many so move the fish and leave the small pond for the frogspawn  and taddies ! :)

By the looks of the wishing well the frogs would have a job getting in and out of the pond.  Think the big pond will be full of frogs come Spring.  Can't stop them in mine they just take over.   :lol: :lol: 
Have had to rescue a few fish from the amorous frogs over the years.  >:(  That might be why the goldfish are in the wishing well pond for safety, you can also protect them from the heron easier than in the large pond.

mrs mud

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 09:39 »

[/quote]
you can also protect them from the heron easier than in the large pond.
[/quote]

Good point, we are on the coast, do you think the seagulls would also bother the fish ? There is always a monster sized seagull stood on our chimney, I have had to be quite cunning putting food out for the small birds

ANHBUC

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 11:11 »
We have gulls locally and haven't had any problems but think any large bird would have a go if they thought it was easy pickings. Some years we have had mallards in the spring looking for a suitable des res!  With your large pond the fish can hide from most birds but ducks and herons are better equiped.  We have found the heron visits mainly in spring and autumn but with our strange weather you have to be on your guard now.

I fed our fish the last couple of nights and they have eaten the food.  Usually March or later before they are interested so it must be down to the weather.  They are active on a night coming near the surface so will continue to feed them a small amount as long as they are active.

Your garden looks lovely and I hope that you are settling in your new home.  :)

xx
pond and fish care

Started by mickeyboy on Pets without Feathers

22 Replies
Last post February 16, 2011, 15:12
by Ma and Pa Snip
xx
another pond fish question

Started by mrs mud on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post March 31, 2012, 19:57
by spottymint
question
Which fish food?

Started by Pretty Chick on Pets without Feathers

15 Replies
Last post June 03, 2010, 09:21
by Spana
xx
HELP PLEASE! aclimatising fish

Started by mickeyboy on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post August 29, 2011, 08:53
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 38 queries.