Slugs stripping potato plants

• 28 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Slugs stripping potato plants
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 09:30 »
The old-fashioned metaldehyde blue pellets poison slugs and snails directly, hence the visible "evidence", whereas the ferric phosphate so-called organic pellets disrupt their digestion so they crawl away to die so you are unlikely to see them.

Neither is a very cheery prospect for those like me who don't like killing things, but the damage they can cause is impossible to ignore, and this year in particular they are present in such large numbers that all-out war has had to be declared.

I use the organic version scattered at the bottom of the hedges which surround my garden and are overnight hiding places for slugs and snails, and the metaldehyde ones nearer to the most vulnerable crops, which are mostly netted so that the risk to other wildlife is minimised.

Seems to be working, although constant vigilance is required in these current weather conditions.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 09:34 »
If this is the case
The old-fashioned metaldehyde blue pellets poison slugs and snails directly, hence the visible "evidence", whereas the ferric phosphate so-called organic pellets disrupt their digestion so they crawl away to die so you are unlikely to see them.

then why did the damage only stop after the organic pellets were replaced with the old fashioned ones?  :dry:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2012, 09:42 »
If this is the case

then why did the damage only stop after the organic pellets were replaced with the old fashioned ones?  :dry:

Not sure Viettaclark was saying that the organic pellets didn't work, just that there was visible evidence that the metaldehyde ones did work!

It's possible that because of the way the organic pellets work that the slugs still have time to inflict more damage before it starts to take effect - I think they do help keep the overall population down, although without the visible evidence it's impossible to be sure, which is why I've gone for the belt and braces approach.  :)

Anton

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2012, 10:59 »
I wonder if the slugs (of which there were lots and lots in spite of slug pellets) which have cause the leaves on potato plants to turn brown and dry. I don't think it is blight because the stalks still look healthy, no sign of black or gunge or anything?

Anton

hubballi

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2012, 17:59 »
I went slug hunting and the plants were HEAVING with HUGE brown slugs that were quickly snipped. I think this method is best.

What a vile way to kill a living creature. I am sorry but as much as I don't like slugs I think this is just barbaric.

hubballi

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2012, 07:01 »
Again, sprayed with garlic and big orange slugs all over them. There are hardly any plant growth left now. I dug down and found one very small red potato  :( 

If I leave them will they still get bigger ?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2012, 09:43 »
The slugs will get bigger but the potatoes won't if they have no foliage!  :ohmy:

I understand your reluctance to kill animals but your deterrent plan is not working in this instance - it's no doubt a difficult one for you but when a pest becomes more than just a minor irritant you have to take effective measures or accept the consequences.

hubballi

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2012, 23:44 »
Everytime I search for this post "hubballi potatoes" it doesn't ever come up.

Anyway, I am puzzled why they are all over these Duke Of York potatoes, even when sprayed with the very effective garlic (even my hosta's are not being touched). I pick off about ten slugs and snails. 5 mins later and as many again. IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE ! :mad:  

It doesn't stop them destroying these particular plants. A guy on Gardener's world was interviewed as to how he kept all his Hostas slug free. he said he spayed the early leaves with garlic and they were never touched. I have grown Duke Of York  before and never had this problem. One thing is for sure, I will never grow them again.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 23:52 by hubballi »

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2012, 07:26 »
if only they ate grass i wouldn't have to bring lawnmower out so often  :lol:

i get a lot of magpies but surprised to see the clever birdies don't eat them but go for the bread in the food cage instead  :blink:. if i find any slugs moving about i just pick them up and throw onto the grass and these spanish black ones are not that slimy but so far blue pellets are doing the job

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2012, 09:15 »
Everytime I search for this post "hubballi potatoes" it doesn't ever come up.

In search, click the advanced search button. Then type potato (your thread is potato and not potatoes) and your user name in the name box, and this thread is the first on the list  ;)

hubballi

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2012, 09:32 »
Oops. My mistake. Sorry  :nowink:

Willow_Warren

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2012, 12:43 »
Well I wasn't doing too bad slug wise until this week.  Looked at my Charlotte potatoes in the bag and... we... they've gone from leafy greenery to sticks!  Think I'll just havest what's in the bag this weekend and see what I get (got a good harvest from the one in the ground I dug up last weekend and they were only planted a week apart), but the bag hasn't had quite so much sun exposure.

So far I've not seem to many slugs around the veg patch or the back garden, they've been mainly in the front garden but I think they are making their way as I saw some on the patio this morning. The chickens will eat the small ones but not the large!

H :)

xx
slugs &potato's

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 12, 2019, 14:00
by Hampshire Hog
xx
My first ever potato harvest...argh slugs!

Started by pulse on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 06, 2008, 08:11
by codheadred
xx
Potato plant damaged by slugs - dig them up?

Started by mark_streat on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 18, 2012, 19:55
by mumofstig
xx
Slugs eating my potato leaves

Started by Ygerna on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 15, 2008, 21:29
by gobs

Page created in 0.497 seconds with 37 queries.