I know what's eating my carrots!

• 4 Replies

Dora5

• Experienced Member
I know what's eating my carrots!
« on: June 17, 2012, 19:32 »
I devoted some time today to weed my carrot bed... So I took off the enviromesh and started hand weeding. From the 4 rows I planted (each 5.3 metres) I have counted 12 carrots and some of them were mostly nibbled off. As I was lifting the bricks I did see planty of slugs which went to the 'death container' and by then I realised that the carrots that seemed to have germinated earlier were simply eaten by slugs! :(

Re-sown carrots third time this year, I hope it is the last time :)... I did sprinkle some organic slug pellets, lets hope no more slugs eat my carrots...

mattwragg94

Re: I know what's eating my carrots!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 20:08 »
yep my first sowing of carrots also got destroyed by slugs, however the three rows that i put in later dont seem to have been affected ( fingers crossed), but i have occasionally put the odd sprinkling of pellets on the beds.

viettaclark

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 23:54 »
This is my third sowing in a different bed. The previous ones got slugged despite pellets.
They are now up and pelleted and I'm watching very carefully.....I've already snipped 2 big slugs but I think it's the little black ones that are the culprits.

Dora5

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 19:17 »
Well Matt, I wish I realised it sooner... I focused on carrot fly protection and it did not even cross my mind that slugs could be eating my carrots! :)

Viettaclark, maybe third time lucky ;). I intend to watch them closely asI would like some carrots this year :)

starry

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 19:36 »
in my four years of planting carrots (the last three in large containers) this is the first year that my carrots have been eaten by slugs, I am on my 3rd sowing now and I probably only have 12 or so carrots to show for that  :ohmy: 
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

xx
What's eating my carrots?

Started by Doc_D on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 13, 2013, 05:54
by Doc_D
xx
whats eating our carrots?

Started by Enfield Glen on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 25, 2017, 21:21
by Thrutchington
xx
Whats eating my carrots?

Started by strider84 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 26, 2013, 00:19
by Kajazy
xx
Carrots and whats eating them before i get chance to!!

Started by jennyb on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 29, 2006, 20:07
by jennyb

Page created in 0.579 seconds with 36 queries.