Still no Butternut Squash

• 42 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: Still no Butternut Squash
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2009, 20:53 »
I noticed I have about six on my plant but only small, biggest is 3", I thought it was too late and was going to clear it away this weekend but is it worth leaving till the first frost or am I wasting my time.

If you have six consider having three that stand a chance instead of 6 that may well not.

This week-end I intend to look through my BNS and chop off all the tiddlers that are draining energy from the slightly larger that look as if they could produce mature, usable fruit. Sounds a bit drastic but in the past so many 'almost made it' and 'never would' fruit have landed in the compost bin after the end of the growing season.

By chopping off the 'very weeny'  I hope to be "cutting my losses" and getting just a few more to reach worthwhile BNS. (Leave the foliage to rake in the sun's charms...).

PS
Disclaimer: this may only work if you have sufficient heat and a good, regular dash of sunshine!!  ;)

Just a thought..
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

BazTheGardener

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2009, 19:27 »
I've now got about a dozen so will reduce down to biggest three this weekend. Do you think it would help if I put them under some protection to keep them warm. ie plastic cloche. ???
First Time Veg grower

Paul Plots

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2009, 02:38 »
It might do....... ;)

devondave

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2009, 22:21 »
Well I had enough, too much work for no return, its time they were dug up and put into the compost, i've given them enough time.

Paul Plots

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2009, 00:56 »
Well I had enough, too much work for no return, its time they were dug up and put into the compost, i've given them enough time.

There's always next year........  ;)

bluelou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2009, 16:21 »
I only have flowers as well but they are growing all over the place do i need to cut them back?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2009, 17:28 »
Bluelou, it's too late now in the season for flowers to produce decent sized squash, I believe, so I would remove any new growth / flowers, and focus only on any squash which are already growing
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2009, 19:10 »
Mine's now yellow with a brown end  :tongue2: :tongue2: so am picking it off to put in the compost.

Better luck next year I hope  :unsure:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

chriscross1966

• Experienced Member
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2009, 03:50 »
Pretty good for me this year... I'm growing them through weedmulch plastic as a ground clearer on a new bit I'm breaking in.... Total yield is currently at 52 including 7 pumpkins of an unknown variety....14 butternuts, 7 bon-bon buttercup, 3 uchiki-kuri, 21 Winter Festival..... I think.... one of the butternuts (a Hunter) has grown a couple more female flowers and as it had only produced one small fruit which is now ripe I'm letting it have a go and I'll protect it if I can when it gets colder... it can have a chance anyway....

Would recommend hunter over Waltham for butternuts, the hunters produce smaller fruit but apart from the runt they tend to produce several useful sized squash per plant rather than the individual monsters that the Walthams  have set.
Festival is productive and fairly compact by the standards of squash. Sensible size too.
The Bon-Bon's are the Dora-the-Explorer of the squash world and mine investgated next doors plot, the potato bags, the tomato bag, the sweetcorn, swamped the Uchiki Kuri while I was away and were last seen heading off for a holiday in Cornwall... 7 big squash off two plants though maybe too big.
The Uchiki's got swamped by the Bon-Bon's and by the time I'd sorted it out they were a bit sorry for themselves but they still did two good ones and a runt....
Pumpkin isn't a giant so I'm hoping they'll taste OK. First one ripened off ages ago, the other six (including the biggest) are just finishing going orange now... biggest three are spoken for for lanterns, the smallest one will get eaten early to find out the fate of the other three, lanterns or kitchen.... Variety unknown as seed saved by sis-in-law from shop-bought halloween thing last year..

One thought.... butternuts and indeed all squashes tend to like to outbreed.. .I hand-fertilized a lot but rarely with the same variety... I don't keep squash seed so it doesn't matter....

Paul Plots

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2009, 20:40 »
So how do you cook those Butternut squash relatives - pumpkins, Chriscross1966?

I seem to have a few whoppers - stuck the plants in so my youngest neice could make a lantern again this year.... wasn't expecting so many large fruit though  ::)

Mitsy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2009, 10:21 »
Well the plants look healthy but haven't even noticed a flower never mind fruit  :lol:
You have not lost the battle unless you quit :)

Michelle x

Elcie

« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2009, 13:39 »
Was going to start a BNS thread to ask a question, but think here might be more appropriate.

I'm lucky to have 6 healthy looking BNS but they don't look ripe, they are a light beige colour (sort of like a beech table!)  My question is are they ok to stay on the plants, which I must admit are looking pretty sorry for themselves, or shall I take them off and finish the ripening process at home?

Thanks  :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2009, 21:57 »
The colour you describe sounds OK to me.... the skins are hardening so they should be safe to cut and take indoors. It is about time they came in especially if the plants are beginning to look as if they are on the way out. When you cut them make sure you keep at least an inch or two of stem attached to the fruit.

Put the fruit somewhere dry and not too hot. A window sill or cool greenhouse would do nicely to finish them off.

I have most of my crop in the conservatory now after a few days on a patio table outside. In a week or two they will be out of sight in the under-stairs cupboard for use during the coming months.
P9130102.jpg

clip
Butternut Squash & Kabocha Squash - when are they ready?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 11:42
by Totty
xx
butternut squash

Started by terrijane on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 12, 2009, 12:17
by terrijane
xx
butternut squash

Started by queenb on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 05, 2011, 12:11
by cricketwidow
xx
butternut squash

Started by crowman24 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 19:29
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.356 seconds with 38 queries.