Pallet compost bins

• 27 Replies

snowdrops

Re: Pallet compost bins
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 22:09 »
Oh, forgot to say as well, I noticed ammonium sulphamate can be used as compost accelerator now, so if I leave the bramble stumps which are where I want to put the bins, would that deal with them? Or should I still try and dig them out first?

Never used an accelerant, but they wouldn't compost on their own ,you would still need a mix of 'greens & browns', & then they would probably start to re shoot. I think you wiuld be better to burn them,that'll finish the b*ggers.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 21:04 »
I built a three bin compost set up using pallets that I stripped down and and rebuilt with out gaps.The slats were nailed back in place. They are held together with cable ties 12" long. I just drilled holes and threaded through. The OH got some carpet samples to go on top. Has been in place for 2 years and made some lovely compost! 
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

The Silver Surfer

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 17:39 »
This is one I built 2 years ago and it's still going strong.  I used rolled up waste cardboard as insulation in the sides.  The green mesh was just to help it blend in a bit.  In the left bin we put plant waste and in the other horse poo.  We have a separate plastic bin for the waste fruit and veg.  From this we get our liquid fertiliser.

mike86

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2013, 19:50 »
i was just flicking through a copy of growyourown mag and spotted an article on making a pallet strawberry planter. and then thought how about making 3 or 4 of them as sides for a compost bin. it would be a practical and attractive addition to the plot so i may give it a go and see what happens.

Steveharford

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2013, 20:08 »
Good tip about the plastic lining. I didn't do that on mine so maybe that's why it has been slow to work. I just tied my pallets together with cord which I simply cut to get access from all sides when I empty it once a year , then tied back up and started again. I also cover the top with a piece of carpet or underlay. Have to be honest though I haven't ever had steaming heat producing compost which I would really like.

samnorfolk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2013, 15:18 »
ive literally just got 3 pallets and put them together side by side attached wire mesh in the inside did this on top of open  ground next to my shed, Am going to do as someone suggested and put old cardboard down the sides as i can slot it in. My query is that i wasnt getting along with the DALEK as it fills up pretty quick and wasnt breaking down so have put contents into new com poster..now what do i do cover it with a sheet of plastic and can i add anything to help speed things up??? im a novice

ConfusedGardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2013, 00:44 »
Pee is a good compost activator.

What I'm wondering is, is there any reason I shouldn't build a double size pallet bin? I have quite a bit of material that needs composting, and as I understand it, the bigger the volume, the better it will work. Is that right?

compostqueen

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2013, 11:21 »
I have daleks and a pallet compost bin and the daleks cook quicker, much quicker I'd say.  I know they say that big is beautiful but I don't think so, not from my own experience any way

If your dalek contents are not cooking then you need to maybe shift it into direct sunlight and maybe give it a poke and a stir to get some air into it. Water it if it's too dry  :)

ConfusedGardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2013, 19:20 »
I guess it would be easier to turn over/tend to smaller amounts of compost. I'm not sure I could bring myself to site the pallet bins in a sunny spot which would be good for growing though... although I guess if the compost that comes out is of higher quality, it'll be worth it. Looks like I will have to rethink the pallet-bins positioning!

jameswburke

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2013, 12:00 »
I have 5 pallets that I'm intending to put together as an open fronted double compost bin. If I had 7, it wouldn't be open fronted, lol! What I'm wondering, is how best to actually fix them together? Any suggestions please.

I made 2 up from pallets. Tied together with nylon rope. They tend to rot after a few years, especially at the bottom, so it's easy to replace them. I also have one on the front and tie that too. It opens so you can turn the compost now and then (a back-breaking task by the way). I put down builder's plastic and empty it on to that then fork it back in).

snowdrops

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2013, 16:03 »
If you can layer with fresh manure that it gets it moving faster.

Manteiga

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2013, 23:00 »
I have made a 4 pallet 'cube' that i plan to fill wiTh a one tonne builders bag, then fill with compostable material. If I repeat this for a few years I will end up with a number of raised beds. Am I mad or is this a sensible idea?

fatcat1955

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2013, 08:45 »
You will need holes in the bottom of the bag to allow the worm's in.

clip
My Pallet Compost Bin.

Started by MickyB on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post December 20, 2013, 20:11
by Trillium
xx
Pallet Compost Bin (Photo's)

Started by john_ch on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post March 09, 2008, 23:45
by noshed
xx
Plastic pallet compost bin

Started by Porcia on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post October 27, 2008, 06:41
by Porcia
xx
Advice on a pallet compost bin

Started by zucchiniqueen on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post May 12, 2008, 17:23
by zucchiniqueen

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 39 queries.