Sweetcorn Help!

• 25 Replies

Smudge

Sweetcorn Help!
« on: April 11, 2007, 10:23 »
I have Just bought my seeds, and have been flicking through these forums and some people are chitting them, on the packet, which are from Suffolk organics it does not say anything about this? I Have never grown corn before so i would love some advice! Do i need to rub them with sand paper? confusing! :?
Keep your mind sharp, but your hoe sharper.

agapanthus

Sweetcorn Help!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 10:25 »
I've never chitted mine and they have always grown ok :)

Oscar Too

Sweetcorn Help!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 10:38 »
I'd be interested in this too.  I sowed mine in pots on a cool veranda (I mean low temperature, not, like, bad, or phat, or anyfink) about 2 weeks ago.  Dug one up for inspection the other day and it has about half-an-inch of root developing.  No other sign of growth.

Is it too early?  Do they need chitting/rubbing/incantations widdershins at the full moon?

I'm keen to grow a good crop as SWMBO will think I'm the best thing since, well, sweetcorn.

Oscar

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
Sweetcorn Help!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 10:47 »
i chitted mine because john did so i thought it must be worth a try. i put them in an air tight tub between 2 damp sheets of kitchen roll then put them on the airing cupboard. within 48 hrs they all had inch long roots.

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
Sweetcorn Help!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 10:49 »
oh and while we are on the subject of sweetcorn i have 2 types, one i bought which is all wrinkly and has that sweetcorn smell but the other somebody gave me and looks just like pop corn (before its popped) do you think they are winding me up or does some sweetcorn seed look like this

Smudge

Sweetcorn
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 11:17 »
Well i have decided to do an experiment. i will chit some, and plant some normally. If all else fails i shall just order some plants! If  others do the same  we im sure we could work it out between us.
As in regard to the sweetcorn seeds, i have only seen mine and they were def wrinkly little *.
Thanks for the responses, keep them coming! 8)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Sweetcorn Help!
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 11:23 »
Never chit mine, I will sow in pots at end of this month and they will stay there for about 2-3 weeks then in the ground, its pretty easy to germinate but I find it does better with a bit of warmth, once the top growth appears it will shoot up.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Oscar Too

Re: Sweetcorn
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 11:42 »
Quote from: "Smudge"
Well i have decided to do an experiment. i will chit some, and plant some normally. 8)

Good thinking Smudge.  Will do the same and report back.

Oscar

Trillium

Sweetcorn Help!
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 14:44 »
Most corn seeds are wrinkly, depending on how the processor dried them. Popping corn is not sweet corn, and should be grown as far away as possible from the other. If they cross pollinate, then the sweet will be quite mediocre and the popping won't pop as well.
As for growing them, its a matter of deciding how your particular area climate will treat them. Corn needs heat to grow and if your summer temps aren't overly high, then prestart them with chitting as John does (see his diary entries). Warmer areas can simply direct seed and water well at seeding time.  :wink:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Sweetcorn Help!
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 14:47 »
I always chit mine works a treat, but the best thing out for 99% of seeds, seedlings,cuttings etc is bottom warmth if you can provide it.
Even on a warm day like today my seeds in the greenhouse are in a heated propagator, BUT the lids not on don't wanna fry them.  :lol:

Lettuce seems to be one of the exceptions it doesn't germinate well if kept to warm.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Trillium

Sweetcorn Help!
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 15:14 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Lettuce seems to be one of the exceptions it doesn't germinate well if kept to warm.

That's because lettuce is a cool weather crop, and why they bolt when warmer weather comes along. Come fall, and they're growing again when everything else is finishing. Ironic, considering how salads are preferred as good summer eating.  :lol:

bramble

Sweetcorn Help!
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 20:36 »
I grow loads of sweetcorn every year  (as we love it on the BBQ)
 fill seed trays with compost,pop loads of seeds into it. Let them get started and when they are 30mm high pop them into my
plant pots. I try and get them really big before putting them into the
allotment.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Sweetcorn Help!
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 20:55 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
Quote from: "richyrich7"

That's because lettuce is a cool weather crop, and why they bolt when warmer weather comes along. Come fall, and they're growing again when everything else is finishing. Ironic, considering how salads are preferred as good summer eating.  :lol:

Thats right Trillium I've even heard of it germinating on an ice cube !, I like salads all year round, just need to figure out how to get cucumbers etc in Dec and Jan without breaking the bank  :lol:

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Sweetcorn Help!
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 20:59 »
Quote from: "bramble"
I grow loads of sweetcorn every year  (as we love it on the BBQ)
 fill seed trays with compost,pop loads of seeds into it. Let them get started and when they are 30mm high pop them into my
plant pots. I try and get them really big before putting them into the
allotment.

Hi Bramble,
I'm new to allotments. I planted 18 sweetcorn seeds late March in the greenhouse. 6 of them grew into healthy looking little plants- now about 5cm high. I've been told that they grow very thick strong tall stalks even to form a wind break for weaker plants. And that I should plant them in a block to ease pollination. I was thinking my 6 plants would be very good in a block by the allotment fence ...... until I heard that each plant will give only 1 or 2 corn cobbs, which does not seem so good.

Well, you can see that I am struggling to learn so could you give me some tips eg how far apart to plant my precious 6?
How to feed them? etc.

Any advice gratefully received, Jim
Former biochemist, now experimenting and having fun. :-)

Oscar Too

Sweetcorn Help!
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 09:51 »
well, I got home last night and about half the corn had germinated.  We'll see whether the rest comes up.

xx
Sweetcorn

Started by Kim on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 21, 2006, 09:27
by Oliver
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 27, 2009, 18:27
by Walewein
xx
Sweetcorn Help

Started by flopsy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 02, 2012, 16:32
by mumofstig
xx
Sweetcorn... again...

Started by scabs on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 29, 2009, 13:02
by scabs

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 38 queries.