Egg bound

• 4 Replies

T C

• Experienced Member
Egg bound
« on: September 05, 2010, 18:45 »
HI I THINK MY HEN IS EGG BOUND, SHE HAS BEEN ON AND OFF OF THE NEST BOX, SHE IS STANDING IN A FUNNY WAY, AND IF SHE WALKS ITS A BIT WOBBLY, SHE IS ALSO LAYING DOWN, SHE DOSE LAY A VERY LARGE EGG, I HAVE HELD HER OVER STEAM AND I HAVE OILED HER VENT SHE ISNT LOOKING VERY FGOOD ANY ADVICE PLEASE TINA
T C TOP CAT

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Egg bound
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 18:57 »
Please couyld you take your computor off caps lock as this is considered shouting, thanks.

I personally don't like the holding over steam method as steam is very very hot and can scold. Place her in a sink of warm water (make sure the water level is well over her vent) and keep her in this for at least 30 mins (keep topping up the water with warm). She may relax her muscles enough to pass the egg whilst in the water. Even if she doesn't after 45 mins remover her and then towel dry her followed by blow drying her with a hair dryer on a warm setting. If the egg breaks you will need to make sure it all comes out as otherwise she can get internal infections.
Staffies are softer than you think.

T C

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 19:06 »
Hi sorry for useing capitals[ shouting]  but i didnt even notice it was in this mode, i have just taken a look at her again and she is laying down, i put some lettce down and she ate this, but very unsteady on her legs, its going to be dark here soon, so id better try the warm water bath right away thanks i will let you know what happens tina

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 20:27 »
Hope she is ok fingers crossed !!!!!
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

T C

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 21:18 »
Hi again, just to let you know that the hen is a lot better today, she didnt lay an egg, but there are a lot of her feathers laying about, so maybe i was wrong about her being egg bound, it is still very hot here she also may have been over heated, thank you for the advice Tina

xx
Egg Bound?

Started by happychickens on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 23, 2008, 21:13
by Aunt Sally
xx
Egg bound?

Started by parks1 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2010, 19:00
by parks1
xx
pol egg bound

Started by greenjay on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 18, 2020, 06:52
by New shoot
xx
Is she egg bound?

Started by KNewbyRobson on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post January 02, 2009, 21:59
by matthew2riches

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 40 queries.