Diary of a suburban bantie cockerel

• 260 Replies

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Diary of a suburban bantie cockerel
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2013, 18:05 »
 :lol:  I did try to warn you Alphie.   ::)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

snowdrops

« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2013, 22:05 »
I just love this diary :lol: :lol:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: June 25, 2013, 17:11 »
Foghorn's diary

Heyhey diary - another lovely afternoon in the garden  :D

Mum let Patsy and Edina out for a run with us, so of course I had to show them how things roll round here.  'Right girls - this here is a prime example of a pipsqueak.  Got it? Pipsqueak.  Only to be pitied really, but don't you worry, you've got a real man to look after you'.  They just giggled madly, but that's girls for you  ::)

Naomi was giving me evils, but soon put her in her place.  'See something you like Naomi?'  ;)  She near exploded trying to keep her beak shut at that one  :lol:  Alphie was straight in there. 'She's way beyond your level mate.  Proper lady this one, not some old fishwife like your lot'. 

Yeah right, whatever. He's only trying to butter Naomi up 'cos they had a row the other day.  Too high maintenance for me that one anyway.  My girls know who's boss and they might cheek me a bit, but they wouldn't be throwing strops like miss high and mighty there  ;)

Got bored of listening to Alphie wittering on, so we went for a dig on the lawn.  Looked up and who do I see sitting at the gate of Alphie's run  :ohmy: 'What are you two doing over there.  Get back over here now!'  They reckon they were making absolutely sure they knew what a pipsqueak looked like, so they could avoid any in future.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, not sure I totally believe that but they are so cute, I can't be cross with them for long.

Women  ::)  Fickle diary, plain old fickle  ::)
IMG_0674_zpsf1e36846.jpg
IMG_0675_zpse73aabbe.jpg
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 13:13 by New shoot »

Springlands

« Reply #78 on: June 25, 2013, 19:12 »
Oh Foghorn - life is so difficult at times. But I am sure that if you sweet talk the girls they will soon fall back in line.   ::)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #79 on: June 25, 2013, 22:28 »
You have some beautiful hens there New shoot.

And yours haven't got bare bums!
Whats's the secret? Mine could do with a bit of help!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2013, 07:19 »
Sorry Devon.  Haven't had time to be on here much in the last few days  :)

My silver laced dottie on the right in the second pic has a bare bum and its been that way for the last couple of years.  She's an old girl and they just didn't grow back after a moult.  She isn't bothered by it unless its really cold.  Then she sits herself on the sawdust in the entrance to the coop and looks out on the garden and run in a most regal manner  :lol:

I do give mine a small amout of budgie tonic seed as treats.  I have a pet shop locally that sell it, but I've seen it elsewhere described as conditioning seed and various other names.  I noticed how shiny their feathers looked a few weeks after starting to offer it.

Mine love it and it takes ages to pick up the tiny seeds, so keeps them occupied for ages  :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2013, 16:05 »
Alphie's diary

Just a beautiful day to be scratching and nibbling round the garden diary  :D  Me, the girls, the sunshine and then mum brought a special treat.  Usually we only get the squishy or damaged strawberries, but dad wasn't looking and mum arrived with a prize specimen.

Don't get me wrong diary, grapes are good, mealworms are to die for, but strawberries are my absolute very favourite and mum knows it.  All pretence of being the stand offish, macho hard man go straight out the window  ::)

Was bliss and then I sensed some-one behind me.  Oh heck!  Naomi looking most amused while I take little bits of my treat.  I like to make strawberries last you know  ;)

Quickly assumed full dress stand to attention mode and looked like I wasn't interested.  Think I got away with it  :unsure:  Naomi was too busy filling her face to look at me  ::)

Her and Eva have been dust bathing for a while now and all I can hear is them gossiping and sniggering.  Better not be about me.  In fact, I think I'll just go join them so they'll have to watch what they say. 'Cmon girls, move over in there.  Yes there is room and anyway I'm coning in whatever you say'  :lol:

IMG_0734_zpsfdd21791.jpg
IMG_0735_zps3a1791cf.jpg
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 13:14 by New shoot »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2013, 16:50 »
Foghorn's diary

The boys are back in town, the boys are back ...........   :D

Been a quiet few weeks diary as mum has kept us in while it was so hot.  Didn't want us fighting through the wire and getting too worked up. I'd of been fine, but the white pipsqueak has funny turns now and then  ::)

She finally relented today and said I could start my diary again. Alphie was shouting he wanted out as well, but I told him I'm way more important and I get first dibs at the garden, so button it  :tongue2:

Anyway, spent ages out today with the two new lovlies.  They are growing up so fast now.  We had spent ages clearing some old dead leaves out from under a bush for mum in this one.  Always like to help in the garden we do  :D 

They are still a bit nervous of my lot, but I keep telling them, I'll look after them  ;)  Mum has got some holiday coming up so that is when they are going to start moving in.  Me and mum have done this a few times and we have a system.  Outdoor time together, then they spend an hour or two in our run for a few days, then we try a sleepover.  Oh yes, we make a great team, me and mum  ;)

Can't wait - Alphie is going to be so jealous  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Alphie's diary

Well the pumped up ginger show off finally went back to his run today, so me and the girls got out for a wander.  Naomi and Eva are moulting like mad, so they made a bee line for their favourite dust bath.  I inspected all the plants and made sure there was nothing nice we hadn't sampled recently.

Patsy and Edina had been out earlier, but they were back in their run.  Real raucous voices on those two.  Not like the refined dulcet tones of my ladies.  Well unless they get really cross with me.  Then they can let rip alright  ::)

Mum disappeared inside for a while.  Left it a bit then thought I ought to check on her and we had a quick nosy round while we were there.  Good job she didn't walk through five minutes earlier, we would have been caught bang to rights, but we were on our way out by this time. 

She wasn't that impressed and asked exactly where I thought I was off to.  What me  :ohmy: - as if butter would melt in my beak.   Can't wait for her to find the present Naomi left her on the floor inside ;)  :lol:
IMG_0781_zps81b64c04.jpg
IMG_0782_zps8bd37b51.jpg
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 13:16 by New shoot »

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2013, 16:57 »
I was just thinking last night that the boys haven't been around recently!
Missed them and their antics! :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: September 01, 2013, 16:52 »
Alphie's diary

The end of an era diary - sigh.  Was strutting my stuff for Patsy and Edina today like usual, but they seemed a bit distracted. 

Then Patsy starts rosey away and running up to their bedroom.  Right old to do and she was getting really agitated.  Edina eventually followed her upstairs and they disappeared, right before I was about to really up the anti   ???  Tried enticing them out, but nothing doing.  Tried as hard as I could to see what was going on, but Edina was stood in the bedroom door, Patsy was completely out of sight and neither of them seemed to care whether I was there or not  ::)

Patsy eventually reappeared, squawking away like a good 'un, with Edina in tow looking well smug.  Pats made such a row, mum came to see what was up and found an egg  :ohmy:

She said they are going into the big coop tonight to sleep and see how they get on in the morning.  They've been visiting in there for a couple of hours each day, but then they've come back to their run, so I've always been able to get a sneaky chat in.  Guess that's all over now  ::)

Naomi says good riddance to them and just keep my attention on her and Eva from now on please.  Well they have both just moulted and are looking super tasty hot at the mo, so maybe that's not such a bad idea  ;)  :lol:
IMG_0820_zps7692024c.jpg
IMG_0817_zpse540564f.jpg
IMG_0818_zpsbcf529dc.jpg
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 14:17 by New shoot »

Springlands

« Reply #85 on: September 01, 2013, 18:35 »
Oh poor Alphie - life just ain't fair at times. At least you are taking it like a man.  :D

What a lovely looking  egg.  :)

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #86 on: September 01, 2013, 21:30 »
Congrats!
First eggy from the new girls! :)

Poor Alphie :D

Sparkyrog

« Reply #87 on: September 01, 2013, 22:37 »
I Love this thread too  :)
I cook therefore I grow

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: September 05, 2013, 18:28 »
Foghorn's diary

Well Patsy and Eddie are in the gang  8)  Been a few beaks out of joint, but mostly all quiet.  I have been the perfect gentleman naturally and made sure they are looked after.

Patsy laid another egg this afternoon.  Mum says its her 4th now.  Eddie is still thinking about it, but usually goes in the coop to keep Pats company.  This afternoon Pats was loud and proud about her egg, much to Beyonce's irritation.  B has been in a broody mood for a couple of weeks and is not best pleased at being turfed out of the nest box  :lol:

Course I had to go see what was going on and lead the egg inspection.  Me and the rest of the girls have been trooping in to view Patsy's efforts every day. 

I could feel Beyonce simmering with resentment behind me, but the rest of us are rather pleased to have a new girl laying in the coop.  She's just got the hump 'cos she says I'm a soppy lump over the newbies, following them round and making cow eyes at them   ??? Don't think so Miss B Cheeky Madam  ::)   Think you'll find they're the ones making eyes.  I just wait for them to come to me  ;) 

Mum always put extra food and water on the shelf when we have new girls, so there is a choice of dining areas.  Eddie often prefers the mezzanine.  Lot more peaceful up there with my lot around  :lol:

I could look at those feathers all day ........... sigh  :blush:  Just don't tell Beyonce I said that  ;)
IMG_0824_zpsd1772299.jpg
IMG_0825_zpseed807a0.jpg
IMG_0830_zpsdc57cea2.jpg
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 13:19 by New shoot »

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #89 on: September 05, 2013, 22:19 »
Awww Foggie is such a soppy devil :lol:

xx
Bantie Orpintons???

Started by jinty1911 on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:56
by Evansent
sad
Hen now cockerel

Started by The Goods on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post January 07, 2013, 21:06
by Paul Plots
xx
Gobby Cockerel

Started by LittleRedHen on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post January 17, 2014, 13:39
by grinling
xx
Scared cockerel

Started by Pretty Chick on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post June 16, 2010, 23:53
by raeburg

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 56 queries.