New piece of ground but do i need manure?

• 2 Replies

Natalie Patch

• www.widdlerswee.co.uk
New piece of ground but do i need manure?
« on: August 22, 2009, 16:46 »
Hello,

Got an allotment plot recently. I have been reading John's books but i have a question with regard to starting a new piece of ground.

Because i have just got the plot i have not been able to prepare compost, leaf mould or manure over the year/half year it takes to get it ready.

I can buy some compost, lime and i saw in one of John's chapters about digging leaves in that will rot over winter to create good humus.

But what about manure? From what i have seen it should be added in well rotted form in late autumn/winter time but i don't have any that is rotted enough for this year.

Can i use straight manure dug in for this first year or should i not use it??

Cheers

Natalie

SG6

Re: New piece of ground but do i need manure?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 17:41 »
You could add compost from a store but they tend to produce a medium then add fertiliser to it. I would say that any you bought would be more use as a soil conditioner. But that isn't a problem. I am thinking here of the potting/general compost that you can buy at 3 or 4 bags for £10.

I wouldn't worry too much for the first year, I assume that it has rested previously and didn't have anything in it for a while?

I would say dig it, add "cheap" compost as a soil conditioner, if you think it is needed or useful, and dig in something like pelleted chicken manure. A tub of the stuff should be OK and it is convenient.

After that start your own compost heap and use that.

Trillium

Re: New piece of ground but do i need manure?
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 18:05 »
If you're just prepping the plot for next year and not planning on growing anything yet, raw, fresh manure is fine to dig in now. By spring it will have matured enough to be safe for plants. If you plan to put in fall items like garlic, winter onions, etc, don't put fresh manure in those areas as it won't have decomposed in time and will likely 'burn' your bulbs. In those areas you'd be better off with bagged manure/compost/whatever.
Why? Because the soil needs nourishment and lightening (tilth). Shredded leaves can be added as well and raw manure will more quickly break down the leaves. A rotovator would shred whole leaves nicely. If you simply can't get hold of manure (which is odd in the land of stables and horses) just add the leaves and plant whenever.

xx
manure on the top of the ground

Started by brokenglass on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 21, 2018, 16:28
by brokenglass
xx
what Vegetables, like manure in the ground

Started by disasterdave on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 04, 2010, 20:10
by disasterdave
xx
Can I put horse manure direct to the ground?

Started by Ruyboy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 08, 2009, 16:20
by BelgianPhil
xx
Our little piece of 'heaven'.

Started by Pompey Spud on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 29, 2008, 17:41
by weeeed

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 35 queries.