Help onions going to seed!?

• 12 Replies

cheadleplotter

Help onions going to seed!?
« on: May 26, 2009, 21:03 »
I put onion sets in last autumn, two varieties of brown onions and one of red and about half a dozen have started going to seed. I've been told to pull them up and eat them now as they won't store, is this right? And if some have gone to seed is it likely that the other will soon do the same?

pumpkinpatch

Re: Help onions going to seed!?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 21:19 »
mine kept fine in the shed so why dont you pull them up and keep them in the shed. you just need to hang them from string and also if you dont want the seed just cut the head of when the start to grow because its ment to use energy that can be used to grow the actual onion its self not shure if its 100% true but its worth a go

Elcie

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 21:27 »
Noticed exactly the same thing in some of my autumn sown onions yesterday.  Have cut of the seed stem and leaving them for a little while as think they may still be ok.  Will use those ones first though as understand from reading on here that they won't store as well.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 21:30 »
Someone else has also posted about onions going to seed - sending up flowering shoots.

Cut the stalk off pronto, and as Elcie says, they will need to be used first as they will not store properly.  Not sure whether you actually need to dig them up right now, though - seems a little drastic.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 21:36 »
all good advice :)

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 21:55 »
Depends whether you want very small young onions or not as to whether or not you pull them now. As long as the flower head has been snapped off asap, the onion will continue to grow in size. You just need to mark these somehow and whenever your harvest comes, eat those first as they won't store well.

Lorraine

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 22:57 »
Thank you once again for good advice on this site.  My husband noticed flowering heads on two of my onions today so they will be dealt with tomorrow and marked with a stick.

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 23:15 »
Hi,
My Japanese onion sets planted last year are all still fine, but a few of the red onions planted this year had just started to form little flower pods. I cut these all off tonight, and they were just random odd ones so I will have no way of knowing now which to use first  ::)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 05:30 »
Those with a flower stalk will be quite evident at harvest time, as they will have an enlarged leaf in the centre of the onion.

It's quite rigid and usually stops the stalk from flopping over as the onion approaches maturity. These will all be standing to attention when the rest are having a kip.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 08:29 »
So some will flower and some won't? Why is that then?

Elcie

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 11:36 »
So some will flower and some won't? Why is that then?

They will all flower eventually if you leave them long enough as setting seed is their main aim.  Some of them will do this earlier than others - think of them like stroppy teenagers, they are complaining about something that isn't quite right - not enough water, too much water, ground too hard, ground too soft and so on and so on.  Some of them just get on with it, bit like people!

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 22:18 »
It's quite rigid and usually stops the stalk from flopping over as the onion approaches maturity. These will all be standing to attention when the rest are having a kip.

Mine are on the ball  I snap them off low.  :D

yummy

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2009, 09:28 »
Hi,
My Japanese onion sets planted last year are all still fine, but a few of the red onions planted this year had just started to form little flower pods. I cut these all off tonight, and they were just random odd ones so I will have no way of knowing now which to use first  ::)
Same here. My Japanese ones are fine but the spring planted red ones bolted yesterday. Nine of them in total and likewise they are all over the place (bet I won't remember which ones).

xx
Onions from seed.

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 02, 2013, 07:20
by sunshineband
xx
Onions going to seed - what to do?

Started by Auntiemogs on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 06, 2012, 12:32
by sunshineband
xx
Why are my red onions going to seed?

Started by kizza on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 07, 2007, 15:20
by yummy
xx
onions going to seed

Started by yodapete on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 01, 2008, 00:20
by Teen76

Page created in 0.379 seconds with 39 queries.