Are we in the summer?

• 7 Replies

Hampshire Hog

Are we in the summer?
« on: June 10, 2015, 09:37 »
Hi all just back from a week in ludicrously hot Italy. Looking at my tomatoes and squashes I'm wondering about how cool it has been here in Hampshire. Nominally I didn't see any evidence of frosts online but my outdoor tomatoes seem to be sulking and the squashes have definitely suffered. The wind has been vigorous here in the last day or so interested to know what you all think about the impact of the wind as well as lower than average temperatures on our harvest of frost sensitive crops this year???

Cheers HH
Keep digging

ptarmigan

Re: Are we in the summer?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 09:44 »
It's only just started to warm up here, and the wind still has a cold edge.  The leaves on my squash are looking a bit yellow and I think that's the wind.

The wind has also made everything really dry, it's sucked all the moisture out the soil and that's made a huge difference as well I think.   But stuff is growing! 

Holiday in Italy eh?  I'm off to Scotland for 2 weeks, looking at the weather forecast I'm definitely heading in the wrong direction....

3759allen

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 09:48 »
most things seem to be struggling a bit this year. i think the big temperature swing and non stop wind is the main culprit.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 10:09 »
We've had a good few nights (I'd say most nights) with temperatures of 5C., measured on the greenhouse thermometer  :ohmy: Not low enough, quite, for frost but not far off, especially if you factor in that cold wind.

Tender plants don't like temperatures under 10C, so they're struggling. Everything is planted out - but if this weather carries on I don't expect to see much harvest from them  :(

Even in the greenhouse my tomatoes don't look particularly happy tbh.
Long range forecasts don't look promising either :(

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 10:36 »
It feels unseasonably cold outside, but my greenhouse tomatoes are quite happy and have put on at least 6 inches of growth in the last 2 weeks. Most have flowers on them - either fully open or in bud. Most of my chillies are quite small still, but I think that's a combination of a slightly heavy watering hand and tiny pots. I don't have any comparison because it's my first year growing in a greenhouse.

My spuds are loving the weather and are romping away, as are the peas, french beans, beets and the rhubarb. Courgettes look like they are about to kick in too. I have a hedge along the south side of the plot and a shed & big bed of broad beans on the west, so perhaps that helps break the wind up and keep it slightly warmer.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 10:50 »
Not planted any of my tender summer stuff out yet, although they will all have to go out in the next few days come what may, with the possible exception of the ridge cucumbers (in the GH) and the runner beans (not even hardened off yet!)

Not expecting any of them to enjoy it much, and Saturday night looks as if it will be particularly cold, but I can't wait forever.

GH toms a bit mixed - Gardeners' Delight look fine, Inca plums distinctly miserable, others in between.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 17:03 »
Thanks all. Looks like we'll have grin and bear it!

HH

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 00:42 »
I know how you feel.  Back from 11 nights in nice but not boiling Skiathos to find pathetic courgettes and squashes and wind damage to fruit bushes.  Apparently it was pretty foul here in the frozen north and although it's lovely and sunny now still very cold night temps.  Very dry even though there was a lot of rain after we left.  Don't think I'll be giving away arms full of courgettes this year..

xx
After the Summer has gone....

Started by Heidi on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 17, 2008, 13:18
by compostqueen
xx
Here comes summer

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 08:33
by PennyS
xx
Summer at last

Started by coatesi on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post November 05, 2009, 15:52
by Weatherwatcher
xx
well thats almost it for this summer !!

Started by hammers07 on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post August 13, 2007, 13:05
by yummy

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 40 queries.