Which grit to use

• 6 Replies

ianl

• Experienced Member
Which grit to use
« on: March 15, 2010, 11:49 »
Hi, I got my first chickens on Sat. The three of them settled in well except they haven't learn't where to sleep yet! At dusk, they have started to roost on top of the coop instead of in it! I have to pick them up and place them into the coop. It's a converted rabbit hutch.Even then the first one in, will literally stop in her tracks and settle down for the night leaving no room for me to get the others in :). Then the second one will settle on top of the other! Anyway after a bit of pushing in
by me I get them in.
I got them Farmgate layers mash to feed on, which they were on anyway. I'm not sure if I should give them grit as well as the info on the mash bag says no need for extra oyster shell. Is this for calcium.The grit I've given them is that which my budgies use. Is this ideal?

themagicaltoad1

Re: Which grit to use
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 12:19 »
Just wondering about your accomodation, have you put perches in for them to roost on? and have they got separate nest boxes? This might be why they're not keen on going in at night. If they free range all day they'll probably pick up enough grit from the ground. I leave a box of sand out for mine and they love rooting round in it even though they have the whole garden to roam in.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 12:54 »
you can buy poultry grit which is very small stones and helps them break down their food. Free ranging birds will often find their own grit whilst scratching around (mine get theirs off my drive  ::)), but if not out and about then a pot should be available at all times. Crushed oyster shell or even washed, baked and crushed egg shells should also be available at all times separately just in case they need to supplement their diet to keep producing hard shells  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

ianl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 12:56 »
Hi, thanks for replying. I've added a nest box on the back. I think the problem might be the perch. I only built it a couple of inches off the ground thinking that it is enough for their bums to free of poo. I think tonight I will raise it as high as possible. How far from the ceiling can I go? They've only had two nights so I think they should learn where to sleep soon- with a guiding hand :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 13:02 »
just make the perches a little bit higher than the nest box area - if it is too high they may injur themselves getting up and down. They will get the hang of things in due course, at the moment everything is new and strange to them.

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 13:18 »
The recommended oyster shell grit is branded Ostrea, and is available from many pet shops  :)

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 08:49 »
Some of the advice about grit can be very confusing and at times contradictory. I was told that the pellets I feed have enough grit and I was told that if they are free ranging they will get enough. I decided that if i provided grit they would not use it if they did not need to. They do use it so no harm done. :D
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
grit, which one

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 16:59
by Jane-M
xx
How much grit?

Started by bygrace on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 12, 2011, 10:56
by Dominic
xx
grit?

Started by lisa80 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 23, 2009, 05:42
by hillfooter
xx
Grit?

Started by Soozie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 30, 2011, 02:58
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 34 queries.