home made compost and baby slugs

• 11 Replies

Grubbypaws

home made compost and baby slugs
« on: July 14, 2009, 12:45 »
Everything in the blues household gets composted and we end up with wonderful well rotted compost which I use to fill containers and now my new raised beds.

The problem is that the compost seems to act as a baby slug nursery! I know slugs are not getting into my containers as each is protected by copper slug rings but every morning I find a new population of tiny slugs gnawing away at my baby veg plants. I presume they came with the compost as eggs and are hatching.

I really dont want to use pellets; is there anything I can do to my compost before using it to kills the eggs or is this just what happens with organic gardening?

Trillium

Re: home made compost and baby slugs
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 16:04 »
If slugs are thriving in the compost, then the compost isn't getting hot enough during decomposition. You'll need to turn the compost more often to activate the heat, and check that it's only just damp enough to continue the heat. Not even slugs can survive a hot compost pile which should be a bit steamy on top and too hot to hold your hand in. It's more work, but at least you'll have great compost faster  ;)

Grubbypaws

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 16:32 »
Hi Trillium,
I have no adult slugs only tiny babies making me think it is eggs hatching. The compost does get really hot but when its finished composting it stands ready for later use and I start a new batch. I am presuming mummy slug finds it after it has finished composting, crawls in an lays eggs.

lovemyveg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 16:53 »
I have also got many baby slugs in my compost, but also lots of large ones.  So I shall have to get out there and turning the pile.  Is there any way to warm the compost heap up as it is not warm to the touch at all?  I put thin layers of kitchen vegetable waste, tea bags, coffee dregs, shredded paper, grass and general garden waste, not including the nasty perennial weeds.  Any help would be appreciated

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 22:52 »
Anything natural can be added, even wool or cotton socks to a compost pile. I still recall watching the late Geoff Hamilton adding wool socks to his pile  :lol:

Only way to get the pile hot is to carefully layer it and keep it slightly damp, then turn it thoroughly to introduce lots of air every 2nd month (or more often). You should see some steam coming off the pile which tells you its too hot to put your hand in. That'll cook anything  :D

peterjf

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 23:35 »
try using dry compost activator , the baby slugs dont like it and they trash about in agony , even better ha ha ha ha

Noodles

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 13:47 »
You can get organic slug pellets now. I use them and they work a treat!

bluelou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 12:37 »
I have the same problem with slug eggs and baby slugs, they have eaten everyting in my raised beds.

Have you tried what has been suggested? If yes i would love to hear if it worked.

tode

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 13:57 »
If youve got a lawn, then grass cuttings really heat the heap up, especially if the grass is damp/very green. Chicken poo is supposed to work well, but we only have one chicken  :D

Grubbypaws

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 14:15 »
We use lots of grass clippings and the compost gets really hot but I still have baby slugs in my raised beds. I still think the eggs are being laid after the composting process has finished and before the compost is used.

Here is how I am managing; so far I havent lost any plants..

Get up in the morning and have a nice refreshing grapefruit for breakfast. When finished place the dome on the surface of the soil amidst the plants. Before dinner lift dome and dispose of new baby slugs. Repeat next morning.

Its good for both me and my hedgehogs, its free and the raised bed looks quite pretty  :D

Christine

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 08:59 »
I'm given pigeon poo for my compost heaps, keep them covered, keep them damp, turn regularly and they do get hot.

And yes, I've been warned about the dangers of pigeon poo, the diseases that pigeon keepers get and all that. All I can say is - use a nose mask and gloves when adding to the heap, turning the compost heaps and keep them damp if you get the stuff offered free.

Don't say you don't get the warnings. Ho hum - pigeon poo has its moments just as well as manure contaminated by weedkillers. But looking at the pigeon keepers around my plot who are healthy I'll take the same precautions as them and their offerings.

lovemyveg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 18:27 »
You can get organic slug pellets now. I use them and they work a treat!

They did not work for me, I sprinkled them around each Bright Lights Chard, but the pesky slugs just trampled over the organic pellets and ate the lot.  It was slugs as their tell tale slime was in evidence.  I am afraid I have reverted back to the slug pellts for a few of my tender plants, but use very sparingly.  Haven't found anything else that works.

xx
home made compost

Started by Hesse2509 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 12, 2012, 16:19
by Amilo
xx
home made compost

Started by crowndale on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 14, 2007, 15:09
by Trillium
xx
home made compost

Started by meterman on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 03, 2015, 00:25
by solway cropper
xx
home made compost

Started by barley on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 03, 2014, 14:55
by Beetroot Queen

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 28 queries.