Hardcore sand stuff for the run??

• 9 Replies

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
Hardcore sand stuff for the run??
« on: December 05, 2012, 12:35 »
Hi people, i have a walkin run as some of u will know :-)
Im thinking of putting hardcore sand on the run as it gets muddy water runs in from underneath run as its on a slope. Hardcore compreses in once you stamp on it etc. but all im worried about is will the surface not get too hard for the chooks and their beaks when scratching around.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Hardcore sand stuff for the run??
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 13:56 »
I'm not sure what you mean by hardcore sand, although I feel I ought to know. Do you mean clinker or grit?  :unsure:
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 14:21 »
You could say grit with sand, some large and small pieces of grit (stones) sometimes builders use it on the ground before paving etc so it doesn't sink.. Onces compressed it turns really hard similar to concrete.

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 14:57 »
I would say its a good idea and it will give some space for the poo to drain into. You could also make a raised veg bed of say a metre by half a metre and put compost in there so the chickens get a nice change. You could then section off the veg bed now and then and scatter it with grass seed so they get some greens in their diet as nature intended. You could also throw some spinach or salad seeds in to add more variation to their diet.

The compost, grass seed and veg seeds can all be bought from poundshops seasonally so the project shouldnt cost more than a fiver if you have access to some old pallet wood.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 08:20 by nuzuki »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 18:21 »
hardcore is usually brick rubble which really isn't suitable, you could use it if you can get it crushed first.
Staffies are softer than you think.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 18:34 »
hardcore is usually brick rubble which really isn't suitable, you could use it if you can get it crushed first.

This is why I asked what hard core sand is, its a building term I'm not familiar with - clinker or grit, among others, are more common names for fine path laying material. :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 19:19 »
could be ballast, or hoggin is the one that's rolled for paths

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 00:46 »
I wonder if this is what we call "road base" i.e. lots of different sizes of sand and gravel that compresses well for use under paving.

If it drains well, I think it would be a great idea as a base layer in a run, but I would also put something else on top that the hens can dig through - wood shavings, bark chips, pine needles, fallen leaves, etc.  Softer on the hens' feet and gives them hours of fun sorting through it looking for bugs etc. 

I like nuzuki's idea of sectioning an area off and planting grass and vegetable seeds too.

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 01:04 »
Yes lindeggs i think its used for under paving and compresses in.. Chooks are in secured walkin run and are let out sometimes on the green to relax especially when its muddy out there

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 15:27 »
The hardcore I was thinking about might not be suitable.  The yellow looking stuff might have minerals in that are harmful to hens.  I think you are not supposed to use builders sand for a similar reason.  I may be wrong as I have just read it somewhere.  :wub:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
Wet sand

Started by Chippet on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 07, 2012, 20:41
by symonep
xx
Using sand in the run?

Started by Kytie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 24, 2011, 10:23
by Kytie
xx
Sand Bath

Started by Vickie & Richard on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 23, 2008, 21:40
by Chookaholic
xx
Sand in the walkin run???

Started by mohs.ayaz on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 06, 2012, 16:30
by JaK

Page created in 0.35 seconds with 41 queries.