odd eyes

• 7 Replies

flapper

odd eyes
« on: February 19, 2010, 04:42 »
Hi,
One of myPlymoth Rock hens aged 2 years had developed one irregular pupil and I culled her because i was worried about Marek's disease. I have since heard that older hens sometimes develop irregular pupils. The hen herself was very plump and laying well. Has anyone had any experience with "odd eyes" in hens?
Cheers
Flapper

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: odd eyes
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 05:27 »
Welcome to the forums, the Welcome forum is a place to introduce yourself, so I'll move your query to the Hen House, but please pop back here and tell us about yourself.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 09:12 »
hello flapper and welcome. Sorry about your girl but there are many diseases and illnesses that chickens can get that affect their eyes - ranging from Avian pox, respiratory infection, nutritional problems, cataracts, fungal, trauma and marek's to name just some. At two I wouldn't consider my girls old but in their prime (although poultry farms think differently). Some of my girls and boys are older. Did you take her to a vet to get her checked over? Joyfullxx
Staffies are softer than you think.

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 21:53 »
hello flapper and welcome. Sorry about your girl but there are many diseases and illnesses that chickens can get that affect their eyes - ranging from Avian pox, respiratory infection, nutritional problems, cataracts, fungal, trauma and marek's to name just some. At two I wouldn't consider my girls old but in their prime (although poultry farms think differently). Some of my girls and boys are older. Did you take her to a vet to get her checked over? Joyfullxx

There again she might just have "odd" eyes!!! :lol: :lol:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 21:57 »
My CouCou has one normal eye and the other one is nearly all yellow.  I thought she may hae gone blind in it, but she seems fine.

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 22:06 »
Have an ancient pekin cockerel who has an odd eye, he is fine, I think blind in that eye now,still treads his girls though!! :)
Mareks usually affects older hens, around POL, so I doubt that your 2 year hen was suffering from Mareks.

Rubellite

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 22:12 »
I have a Maran cross that suddenly developed a small pupil in one eye.  I could see no sign of infection or trauma and so left well alone. She was otherwise fine and is still laying, the change came about last summer, so it wasn't anything serious. Some people say that an odd pupil is a sign of a poor layer.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 22:27 »
OOh that's funny Rubellite!  The CouCou is a Maran cross!!!!  And yes her pupil in the yellow eye is tiny!!

xx
BAD EYES

Started by HAPPYCHICKENHOME on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post June 25, 2013, 18:29
by ANHBUC
xx
bubbly eyes

Started by bood77 on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post March 07, 2012, 05:58
by bood77
xx
's pecky four eyes ...

Started by peggyprice on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 21, 2008, 15:29
by peggyprice
xx
gunky eyes

Started by happyozchook on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 13, 2010, 03:01
by TeaPots

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 39 queries.