Foaming Eye

• 10 Replies

Wannabee

Foaming Eye
« on: March 31, 2009, 21:06 »
Hi all,

3 of my hens are foaming from one of their eyes and one is quite swollen underneath the eye, this hen we have only had since last Saturday but didn't notice it then and I think that it gave whatever this is to the other two as this new hen has the worst case of it.

WHAT IS IT?

Any ideas,

Cheers
Cheers,

Paula

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Foaming Eye
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 21:11 »
Sounds like a mycoplasma infection which will need antibiotic treatment for the whole flock.

I would complain to the supplier as they have sold you infected stock.  They should take the hens back and give you a refund or pay the vets bill.

The house and run will need deep cleaning and you should not restock again for 2-4 weeks (not sure) after cleaning.

Sorry :(

shiatsusu

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 13:13 »
We also had foaming eyes in 3 of the 4 girls during their first week with snotty noses too and lots of "I'm really not a happy chicken" behaviour, but a course of anti-b's sorted it and we've had no more problems. We introduced a 5th girl a couple of weeks later and had nothing go wrong with her.

Wannabee

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 18:19 »
Thanks,

Brought me chucks to the local vet and she said it was either mycoplasma infection or Fowl Coryza but gave an antibiotic that is treatment for both aliments for 5 days. Costing €30 to treat all the flock and it may need to be retreated. But she was reassuring me that they would be OK, so fingers crossed. Spent 5 hours today cleaning out all even their dust bath. Oh and all eggs have to be destroyed for 3 weeks  :(

I know someone who is gonna get an ear full when I get hold of him. >:( >:(  Won't be using that supplier again.

Be warned folks, I got complacent with introducing new birds to my flock but this is my wake up call.

Check for ailments and quarantine even with reputable dealers!!!

Thanks Aunty Sally you were spot on.

Wannabee

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 18:51 »
Aunty,

Will this affect my flock long term?

Never though to ask the vet and I am still worried even though they have started their treatment.

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 19:04 »
If it is mycoplasma then yes, although myco doesn't cause high mortality, birds can be carriers and therefore infect other birds. Symptoms can reoccur in previously infected birds in times of stress(ie moving or illness).
The best thing you can do is 1. Take them back to the supplier 2. Only have vaccinated birds in future.
Fowl Coryza or more commonly known as "Infectious Coryza", symptoms are quite acute with significant swelling under the eye sinuses,  it is less common than myco, however, previously infected birds will still be carriers.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 19:48 »
My vet says that anyone who can breed a chicken without mycoplasma should clone it and make a fortune.  Having said that good [hygienic] breeders can keep it to an absolute minimum.

Your birds will always have mycoplasma which my come back at times of stress as Foxy says, moving, illness even during a moult, but you'll be on your guard and spot it quickly if it comes back.

Make sure the supplier gives you some recompense !

Wannabee

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 20:12 »
So basically all my birds that were in contact or penned beside the infected birds will all have it but while now on medication should not show symptoms but all will carry this virus and pass it onto their young via the egg. And all because of a supplier. Yes?

So will keeping this virus under control give my girls a long and happy life?

And Am I stuck with this virus for life?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 23:24 »
So basically all my birds that were in contact or penned beside the infected birds will all have it but while now on medication should not show symptoms but all will carry this virus and pass it onto their young via the egg. And all because of a supplier. Yes?

So will keeping this virus under control give my girls a long and happy life?

And Am I stuck with this virus for life?

More or less Yes,  but with treatment, good hygiene and keeping you birds healthy you should have minimal problems.  It may never reoccur!

Wannabee

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 09:28 »
That is disgraceful that suppliers can supply chickens with this disease. I had been rearing chicks for friend and family from my stock before I got this Myco, and now that will all have to stop or I'll be spreading the virus.

I'm so concern here I'm not sleeping right since this started. This guy is producing 1000's of poultry and its the first time I got birds off him.

My vet says that anyone who can breed a chicken without mycoplasma should clone it and make a fortune. 

What is the carrier % of Myco in bird stocks in Ireland/England is it really that common Aunty?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 18:44 »
I've no idea how ommon it is but there is quite a lot of information out on the internet.

This is quite a simlple clear article

http://www.ruleworks.co.uk/poultry/M-Gallisepticum.htm

xx
foaming eye

Started by chicklit on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 30, 2009, 22:41
by Aunt Sally
xx
Foaming eyes

Started by Daisycow on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post November 16, 2009, 20:45
by mickwood
xx
Foaming eyes

Started by HairyBear on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 01, 2009, 18:30
by Foxy
xx
Sick Hen - swollen body and foaming eyes

Started by Kenwest on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 22, 2008, 21:03
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 39 queries.