Building a wooden frame to protect against birds.

• 15 Replies

snowdrops

Re: Building a wooden frame to protect against birds.
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 20:35 »
Just to think about --- bear in mind that soem brassicas, like purple sprouting broccoli for example, grow really tall, up to 1.5m, so you will need to have quite tall frames.

After a couple of unsuccessful efforts (one too short, one to heavy to move to weed/crop etc) I now have three of those cheapish metal arches you can buy to train roses over, and stood them over one of the raised beds.

I have a debris net cover with velcro door in one long end for the summer, and am about to change it for a wide mesh bird proof netting for the winter, because the weight of snow on the debris netting will probably bend the metal  of the arches. They are well staked on the inside with wood a foot deep, and guyed at each end so summer gales didn't blow them over.

Debris netting kept out the cabbage white and bird netting will keep out pigeons during the winter --- no butterflies now!

Hope that helps a bit.

The lower frames you mention work well for short crops as long as you can lift them of single handed

Thats a great idea Sunny. I started a trend on our site by using ball pool balls on canes( I cut a small cross in the ball & put on the cane) then put the netting over,or I use some plastic pipe offcuts I got from the workmen replacing the gas pipes around here which work well for low crops.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
building cold frame.

Started by joiner on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post January 21, 2012, 22:06
by gavinjconway
xx
Building a big Cold Frame/Greenhouse

Started by IanG on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2012, 17:48
by IanG
xx
What mesh to protect Brassicas?

Started by argonaut on Design and Construction

12 Replies
Last post November 02, 2017, 19:50
by rowlandwells
xx
Wrapping greenhouse/shed floor bearers in plastic to protect against rotting?

Started by Yana on Design and Construction

12 Replies
Last post August 01, 2013, 10:51
by Welsh Merf

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 39 queries.