When to harvest kale

• 5 Replies

simon hughes

When to harvest kale
« on: July 31, 2019, 17:03 »
I grew a mix of different that were billed as 'all season kale' it includes the following 4: Black Magic (uniform Cavolo Nero type), Red Devil (unique purple veined Cavolo Nero), Pentland Brig (super sweet heritage variety) and Seaweed F1 ( frilly leaves with darker purple-green colour).

For whatever reason I've mostly got the black plants and the pentland Brigg. I had assumed I wouldn't be eating any till autumn but the plants are pretty big. When do you normally start harvesting? They were sown in april and planted out early June when about a foot high (they were in my tunnel for a while in the ground not in small pots).

I guess I'm over thinking it and should just eat some :).

Mr Dog

Re: When to harvest kale
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 19:14 »
Just start picking and enjoying.

Snowpea

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 05:52 »
What Mr Dog said.
Just start picking and don't stop. Leave enough leaves to keep the plant going of course. I treat kale plants, re harvesting, much the same way as I do Silverbeet (Swiss Chard to the non Australians). :)
I have a few interesting kale recipes which I'll post in the cooking section, if I can find them. Give me a day or so.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 09:06 »

Simon, remove any yellowy leaves as you go along as they fall on the ground and get black mould on them and they smell horrid as they rot!

And just keep picking!!! I gave the soil aorund mine  a little boost with some chicken manure pellets last week... last one until the Spring ... so I am expecing a good growth spurt to follow soon!!! I have Cavelo Nero to crop from, and green curly kale as small plants still.

Looking forward to those recipes, Snowpea  :D

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Snowpea

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 10:29 »
Alas can not find the kale recipes. :(  Sorry sunshineband.
However I have found some more information on harvesting Kale. One of my vegetable garden books suggested kale is much 'sweeter' if it has frozen, or as near to as possible, before it is picked. It also said that the young leaves are the ones to use. Mind, young is a bit subjective in my view. Oh well room to experiment I suppose and us gardeners do so like to experiment.  :D

lettice

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 10:17 »
I always pick a few leaves off each plant, much as you would for Spinach or Chard and would fill a colander each picking.

Do find it is best steamed for about ten minutes.
That keeps the best colour and flavour for me.

If some do not like the slight bitter taste, after its finished steaming drizzle a little of your favourite oil or butter in and mix it around with the kale. About a teaspoon is all that is required.

I have always grown my tried and trusted Curly Kale called Westland Autumn, but this and last year I have grown other varieties with success; Fizz, Red Devil, Afro and Red Russian.

xx
best way to harvest Kale

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 06, 2013, 23:23
by Salmo
xx
When to harvest Kale 'reflex' ?

Started by Rach76 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 24, 2019, 09:38
by lettice
xx
How to harvest curly kale?

Started by matt80 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 01, 2010, 22:59
by TheSpartacat
xx
Sea Kale?

Started by Learnerlady on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 26, 2022, 16:14
by Learnerlady

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 38 queries.