Getting water out of my tanks and butts...

• 8 Replies

easy rider

Getting water out of my tanks and butts...
« on: May 10, 2021, 12:57 »
I’ve just finished a 14m x 4 m Pollytunnel. I have a 1000litre IBC and 8x 210litre butts located around various out buildings.

Currently due the dry spell I have been using my hose with spray gun attached to a tap. But the last week of rain means all my butts are full and the IBC tank too.

If I want to continue using my hose and spray gun but use this water from the IBC and Butts what the best solution?

I don’t want to be really waiting around filling  watering cans etc...I just want a way of getting the water out under pressure so I can use my spray gun and hose.

I’ve connected the hose directly to the IBC and butts but the pressure wasn’t enough for my spray gun...no water came out....

any ideas? I want to use my tap as least as possible....My car port filled 3 x 210litre butts in a week...

Growster...

Re: Getting water out of my tanks and butts...
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 13:56 »
If the IBC is higher than the plants then a simple syphon works, but not at a spray pressure.

As for filling cans, we use a large plastic crate, placed under the tap of the IBC, and then keep dipping the can while the tap is running and refills it. It saves time and bending too much, and seems to work for us oldies!

easy rider

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 15:33 »
If the IBC is higher than the plants then a simple syphon works, but not at a spray pressure.

As for filling cans, we use a large plastic crate, placed under the tap of the IBC, and then keep dipping the can while the tap is running and refills it. It saves time and bending too much, and seems to work for us oldies!

IBC is 20 metres away....so I need a more long term solution to get the water to the tunnel.

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 21:38 »
I’m interested in doing just this thing in my new 14ft x 25ft tunnel. Apparently you can get a self watering system that operates from a water butt but I don’t know where you get it as yet.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

wighty

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 20:56 »
We have a pump that we got from Draper Tools that we can put in a water tank and then it pumps out water.  It does need an electric supply though,  we use it to water the garden from our water butts and refill the pond if needed.

grinling

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 21:27 »
You could put the hose in the watering can and walk around watering whilst it refills.
Or have a water butt raised in the polytunnel and fill that and use a hose with holes in to drip feed around the plants.

Alank

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2021, 21:18 »
I would use a 12 volt water pump if you don't have access to mains electricity they are cheep to buy and work off any 12v battery.
What i am buying soon is a cordless pressure washer with a watering attachment to enable me to water the raised beds without having to fill numerous watering cans.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2021, 16:23 »
YouTube links need to be enclosed by the hyperlink code to work with the forum software (second icon from the left on second row of icons above.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

rowlandwells

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2021, 17:36 »
we use a submersible pump it pumps the water all round the garden poly tunnel greenhouses the only downside is if it doesn't rain then we soon run out of water in the butts I was thinking about sinking a water tank under ground one of our friends put a tank under the ground and has plenty of water all summer but of cause there's a cost for installing this type of water tank with a submersible pump  ;)

xx
How much water?

Started by Elm street on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

3 Replies
Last post May 21, 2015, 22:22
by 3759allen
xx
Tomato Seeds: Too much water

Started by Aled on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

13 Replies
Last post March 17, 2016, 09:57
by Aled
question
Water retaining crystals / gel

Started by Lardman on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post April 29, 2014, 20:57
by Lardman
xx
Grow bag Trays .. Do they hold water

Started by wbmkk on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

3 Replies
Last post May 28, 2022, 05:27
by Growster...

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 39 queries.