Mod or Rocker ?

• 7 Replies

mrs bouquet

Mod or Rocker ?
« on: March 22, 2019, 15:53 »
Most of us will remember these young people.   Whether we watched them on the news with our parents tutting, or have watched old footage.   The mods looking like Clones on their Lambretta's with long aerials and a fluffy tail on the top or rockers with heavy shoes/boots and heavy dark looks as well.
During that time, did you ever think, I would like to be one of them, and if so which ?  (or perhaps you were one).   and if you told your parent, probably got a clip round the ear.  :lol:  Mrs Bouquet   
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Mod or Rocker ?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 17:52 »
I dressed as a Mod at 16, but my boyfriend (he became my husband) had a motorbike - so he was a Rocker I guess. No alcohol in those days, just coffee or coke at the transport cafes or the 59 club.
Fun times  8)

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 18:57 »
Sorry too young, 😂 I did eventually own a pair of Oxford bags & a pair of wedge heels which I thought I looked the bees knees in, but not sure that made me ‘anything’ I preferred Motown to the 70s pop music of the day( older sister influence) still like it today but never went to any Northern Soul, but girls in my class did.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 20:58 »
PuNK since 76
 ;)
FB_IMG_1553288250644.jpg
FB_IMG_1553288237517.jpg
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 10:39 »
You've brought back some memories here Mrs. B!  :lol:

'Proper' mods had Lambrettas, whereas I had a hand-painted and rather clapped out Vespa, and another member of our informal group had a BSA Bantam 125cc motor bike, which was quite lucky because he was a rather plump lad and could therefore be relied upon to be bringing up the rear behind me (not being last was a matter of pride, and involved taking considerable risks, especially as I decided that specs and crash helmet together was not a good look, so usually dispensed with either one or the other. :ohmy:)

Sunday afternoon burn-ups round the Sussex countryside were a regular feature, often finishing up in Bexhill for a tiny, shrivelled up burger at the Wimpey bar, the only place open on a Sunday afternoon in those days.

As you can probably tell from the eclectic mix of machinery, we didn't class ourselves as mods (probably thought we were above that sort of thing, but in truth were probably secretly afraid of being beaten up by the local Rockers!  ::)  :lol:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 12:25 »
Jay, were you one for this place then?

https://ninebattles.com/2019/02/09/pam-dor-coffee-bar-early-60s-hastings/

I only went there once - scared me witless, and anyway, I was forbidden to go there by my father! He also banned me from 'The Witch Doctor' for the same reasom, but I did go a couple of times...

I loved motorcycles, but ended up with a Lambretta, working in Battle, until I wrote it off, and had to rebuild it... The last time I saw it was in a hedge by Brede Bridge in about 1969!

But to answer Mrs B's question, I couldn't afford the Mod clothes, a big motorcycle was out of the question, so I spent all my time on The Polegrove, where I learned to partake of much ale, and where singing was compulsory!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 13:05 »
We used to hang out at Johnson's Café near Brands Hatch, riding up and down 'death hill' just to be seen. Some riders were maniacs though, used to put a record on the jukebox run to get on the bike, ride down the hill, round the roundabout and back before the record stopped. One of our gang went under a lorry when it pulled across in front of him and he couldn't stop in time. That slowed everyone up for a while...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2019, 18:13 »
A rocker for certain. Black leather jackets "proper" bikes aka BSAs, Harleys, Triumphs etc,  and "ton up" down the Eastern Road in Pompey.  :D :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 49 queries.