HUGE slug

• 32 Replies

Annie

HUGE slug
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 22:40 »
At the end of summer last year i remember finding loads of huge slugs in the carrots but no damage and night hunts usually reveals medium sized and lots of mini slugs.I am of the opinion that it is those tiny ones that do most of the damage although you can`t help wondering how the big ones get so big....

Little Miss Muffet

• calnetalk
HUGE slug
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 04:11 »
Slugs also do not like course grit.We have had a huge amount this year due to the weather .i collect mine when its raining then sait the lot of them.

kaz

• Experienced Member
HUGE slug
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 18:34 »
I hate the feeling when I tread on them on the paths  :shock:  it's making me cringe to think about it :?

Little Miss Muffet

• calnetalk
HUGE slug
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007, 20:15 »
Quote from: "kaz"
I hate the feeling when I tread on them on the paths  :shock:  it's making me cringe to think about it :?

i hate them when i was younger about 5 i went out with bare feet and stood on a slug which went inbetween my toes.i cant bare to touch them now. :twisted:

muntjac

HUGE slug
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2007, 21:37 »
Quote from: "Little Miss Muffet"

i hate them when i was younger about 5 i went out with bare feet and stood on a slug which went inbetween my toes.i cant bare to touch them now. :twisted:

once did that in a spanish swimming pol but it wasnt a slug :roll:
still alive /............

wildeone

HUGE slug
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2007, 06:19 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
Quote from: "Little Miss Muffet"

once did that in a spanish swimming pol but it wasnt a slug :roll:

I really wish i'd :cry:  :roll:  :lol:  read this after breakfast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even my coffee tastes funny now!!!

pepper

• Experienced Member
HUGE slug
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2007, 14:59 »
I loathe the horrible slimey things (and it doesn't help that I broke and badly dislocated my ankle last year while hunting them at night) Whenever I go to my plot I take a pair of scissors and I cut them in half or stamp very hard on the snails :twisted:  while laughing  :twisted:   :twisted:
I'm nice really, honest -slugs and snails just bring out a dark side :!:
monica

WG.

HUGE slug
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2007, 15:06 »
Don't stamp too hard pepper, you might dislocate an ankle  :wink:

pepper

• Experienced Member
HUGE slug
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2007, 15:25 »
That's true - I'll have to be more careful and not enjoy it so much in future :!:

Little Miss Muffet

• calnetalk
HUGE slug
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2007, 17:57 »
once did that in a spanish swimming pol but it wasnt a slug

sweet nasturtium

HUGE slug
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2007, 21:07 »
At dusk, yesterday evening I went out for some slug-slaughtering and found something terrible.

It was brown, it was around 18inches long!  It was curled in a c-shape with kind of white frilly bits at either end.  It appeared to be dead - it didn't move.  I prodded it with my foot - it was spongy.

I had never seen anything like it.  Until I saw someone with a huge alsatian hurtling along the path.  Then I realised it was a very large re-hydrated dog chew.  I think they're made of some form of hide.  I've put it by the path to scare potential intruders.

But I'm glad I didn't find it at the bottom of the pool...

leeky

HUGE slug
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2007, 22:41 »
try and catch these beasts with a camera. I would love to see a huge slug like that, place a ruler by the side for scale purposes and make sure the lighting is good. get his good side.

ok, kidding., but not about the pic!  :D

wildeone

HUGE slug
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2007, 07:31 »
its been spotted a few times but i've looked into it and its a lepord slug and only eats fungi and lives in compost heaps so hubby was right not to murder it!

still not keen tho :oops:  :shock:  :?

vegiman

Re: HUGE slug
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2007, 23:41 »
Quote from: "wildeone"
I've found a huge slug in the compost bin yesterday and was wondering whether its normal! (visions of it being some radioactive experiment!!!) It was (at rest) 3/4cm wide and at least 12cm long with white spots/markings!

Help! :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

On gardeners world tonight an idea to combat the slug problem was suggested, the use of sawdust or coffee grounds around the plants prevents them from reaching them. They are unable to slide over it and use up all their moisture and so die from dehydration :wink:

muntjac

HUGE slug
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2007, 23:45 »
same with plaster from builders supplies  :wink: and cheaper just top up when its dry weather :wink:

xx
Huge Rhododendron

Started by JulieP on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post February 27, 2009, 09:14
by JulieP
xx
huge pain of a eucalyptus

Started by bunch29 on General Gardening

23 Replies
Last post February 15, 2009, 22:48
by dereklane
xx
WHERE DO ALL THE BIG HUGE WATER BUTTS COME FROM?

Started by jazzbyrd on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post April 23, 2008, 18:04
by jazzbyrd
xx
slug defence

Started by azubah on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post August 04, 2016, 18:50
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 31 queries.