HUGE slug

• 32 Replies

wildeone

HUGE slug
« on: August 22, 2007, 09:29 »
I've found a huge slug in the compost bin yesterday and was wondering whether its normal! (visions of it being some radioactive experiment!!!) It was (at rest) 3/4cm wide and at least 12cm long with white spots/markings!

Help! :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

muntjac

HUGE slug
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 10:30 »
its a good un  its a tiger in drag me thinks .. big gun filled with pellets will sort it out  :lol:
still alive /............

wildeone

HUGE slug
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 10:38 »
I'm such a wimp i'm throwing things in the compost bin from a great distance coz its gone :shock:  and i'd feel better if i knew where :oops:

wildeone

HUGE slug
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 10:40 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
its a good un  its a tiger in drag me thinks .. big gun filled with pellets will sort it out  :lol:

I suggested killing it and my hubby was horrified!  :roll: said it was beautiful and not doing any harm  :roll: suppose he's right  :?:  :!: But a few of them could take down lots of crops i think!!!!

muntjac

HUGE slug
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 10:40 »
its under the compost layer eating what ya throwing in ...... waiting for ya to stir things up with a stick and its gonna " SLIME  YA " :lol:

wildeone

HUGE slug
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 10:41 »
STOP IT 'shudder shudder'  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

muntjac

HUGE slug
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 10:50 »
lmao .......

now we got in we need to be careful that wildone aint about . she got BIGGGGGGGGG STICK............Damm charlie she fritened the colour outa ya

wildeone

HUGE slug
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 10:52 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  You're a nutter :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

smithyveg

HUGE slug
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 10:59 »
I read somewhere that the big ones don't pose a serious threat to crops as they're largely carnivorous and that it's the small brown keel slugs that do most damage.

I wouldn't trust any of the snotty little sods personally and make sure I have plenty of pellets to hand. Despite what the 'organic schmanic beardy weirdy hug-a-slug' brigade try to tell you about alternatives, pellets are the ONLY sure fire way of protecting your crops against slugs. Slugs and snails seem drawn to them as if in a death trance and death is swift.

And because they become so unappetising birds do NOT eat them....they just lie there festering away for weeks. Some animal lovers will tell you their cats or dogs may get poisoned by pellets. I say how many cats and dogs do you know that eat soil?

Used sensibly pellets work perfectly well. However, if you have time to collect and crush enough egg shells or whatever else you may care to try then feel free to try it. Don't moan when the only thing in your lettuce patch are stalks. Slug populations have doubled this year apparently.....it only takes me a few seconds to 'shake and vac' with my bottle of pellets LOL

muntjac

HUGE slug
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 11:05 »
good shaking of sulphate of potash around the plants will stop em ///// visions of carnage on the garden highway as slugs doing 50 mph crash into each other .

smithyveg

HUGE slug
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 11:20 »
Never heard of that Munty.........I'll be putting some round the base of my dahlias tonight to harden the blooms up ready for the showbench. I'll see if it works on slugs too.

WG.

HUGE slug
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 16:41 »
Quote from: "http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6958259.stm"
Normally a dry, hot period over summer kills off large numbers of slugs, says Dr Lankford. But this year they have enjoyed perfect moist conditions and as a result an average of 61 have been found per square metre of land in counts done by Bayer CropScience.

61 per sq m !!!!

See full article on http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6958259.stm

brucesgirl

HUGE slug
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 18:38 »
We hung our onions up to dry and a great big one fell off and landed on my arm !!! It was one of my worse gardening experiences, and I didn't have any soap to wash the slime off - yuukkk

kaz

• Experienced Member
HUGE slug
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 19:22 »
I hate slugs but they seem to be everywhere this year and aren't even waiting until night time to come out onto the paths.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
HUGE slug
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 20:18 »
I caught a huge HUGE HUGE one today in a mouse trap that I keep set near the cicken run... YUK  YUK  YUK  YUK YUK  YUK  YUK  YUK   :shock:  :!:  :shock:

That's one for Worzel to sort out  :roll:

xx
Huge Rhododendron

Started by JulieP on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post February 27, 2009, 09:14
by JulieP
xx
huge pain of a eucalyptus

Started by bunch29 on General Gardening

23 Replies
Last post February 15, 2009, 22:48
by dereklane
xx
WHERE DO ALL THE BIG HUGE WATER BUTTS COME FROM?

Started by jazzbyrd on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post April 23, 2008, 18:04
by jazzbyrd
xx
SLUG INFORMATION???

Started by Slowgrind on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post April 09, 2010, 15:13
by Trillium

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 34 queries.