Bad soil

• 5 Replies

Mr. Potato head

Bad soil
« on: August 26, 2010, 20:28 »
Ive just got my self a plot that Im quite happy with, needs some work but not as much as I expected. The only concern I have is that towards the bottom end some one has burnt some tyres. Theres nothing growing on the patch of earth where the fire has been. So my concerns are the state of the soil under the tyre ash. Im going to clear off the ash but is the soil going to be any good and more worrying is it going to be toxic, is there any chance any impurities could have soaked in? any advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

daisy1990

Re: Bad soil
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 20:38 »
yes burned rubber is very difficult to get rid of in soil.  I would dig out to a foot deep and get rid of the soil then improve what is left by digging in compost/ organic matter whatever you can get your hands on -it will be worth the effort as the soil will take forever to improve if left.  Someone burnt tyres and plastic sheeting in a field near us and you can still see the bare patch 5 years later.Hope the area burned isn't too large
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 16:50 »
That's a problem I wouldn't like! I think you might have to try a sacrifice crop on the suspect ground to see how it goes, but I would create raised beds in another area and fill with good soil and try that too - good luck!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Paul Plots

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 15:27 »
If it were me.......

If you intend putting in a new path or putting up a new shed I would collect the ash and plonk it there more out of harms way.

A bit of deep digging to place the top soil at a lower level might help remove anything that could be problematic. Once you've had a winter's worth of rain leeching should carry anything toxic to even lower levels in the soil so out of the reach of roots.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Mr. Potato head

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 15:05 »
Well the plot is about 300 m square and the problem area is right at the bottom end, about 10-15 m square. Ive cleard the plot of weeds and growth and now Im able to get a better view of what needs to be done. Basically Im going use the area for a shed and stuff like that. I didnt realise how big the patch was before I cleard it and considering how much I have to play with, I dont think Im loseing too much.

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 15:15 »
Sounds a good decision but I bet you later on you will, like me, be needing just that little bit more space for something you'd like to squeeze onto the plot.....  ;)

xx
Fag ash in my soil!

Started by Kleftiwallah on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post June 20, 2014, 14:30
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Top Soil

Started by Coin on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post May 02, 2008, 21:53
by TheChilliMan
xx
TOP SOIL

Started by finster on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 10:22
by Runwell-Steve
xx
soil

Started by doug hutch on General Gardening

16 Replies
Last post February 08, 2010, 19:04
by Jamie Butterworth

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 38 queries.