Soil help

• 9 Replies

rideandy

Soil help
« on: February 17, 2009, 22:33 »
Hello.

I have had my plot now for less than a week and  know nothing about the soil condition!
I want to start clearing patches, seeding and moving on to next patch!
Can you tell me what would be the best all round fertilizer or shop selling compost, that would help put some love back into my soil!
Thanks
Andy

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Soil help
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 22:41 »
The Information section of the site has a link to manures and fertilisers, which will give you an overview of what's available and for what purposes.

I suppose there are a number of different elements to consider.

1. Soil type - clay / sand / somewhere in between.  If you squash some in your hand and it stays like plasticine, it's clay.  Good fertility though can get very wet and dry.  If it crumbles it's sandy.  Less fertile but free-draining.

2. Soil pH.  I've never tested my soil with a pH meter, you may well find that pH will vary around the plot.  Some plants are more fussy about the acidity / alkalinity of the plot.  E.g. brassicas like lime.

3. Organic matter.  You can never add too much organic matter (compost, manure) to your plot but best to avoid fresh manure, let it rot down first or it will actually rob the soil of nitrogen as it decomposes.  Avoid manure where you're going to grow parsnips or carrots.

This can get quite technical, just add as much organic matter as you can find.  Others will recommend growmore (not organic) or something like fish blood & bone (organic) as a slow-release fertiliser but I can never remember exactly when to apply it so it's a bit hit and miss for me.  Perhaps I need to re-read John's book again!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

rideandy

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 23:08 »
Thanks
I can get hold of manure, but its to fresh!
Im hoping to get some this weekend and store till its at its best.
Am I right in saying 3 months from bot to rot?
I just wanna get a good start and dont think I have the time to do the way i want (compost,manure)
Cheers
Andy

Steve.P

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 11:54 »
You could try testing your soil in a glass milk bottle. Think it goes something like this. Fill the bottle with half soil, half water then shake. When the contents have settled (now this is where it gets a bit blurred in the memory) the heavy stuff (clay) will sink to the bottom then the lighter stuff (sand and grit) will be in the middle, and the lightest material (compost, manure, leaf matter will be at the top. Not sure if i've got the first two in the right order but someone on here should know. Then aim to get all the parts equal. Also you could get a PH testing kit.
Life is a heap of manure. Growing one minute, stinking the next.

zazen999

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 12:42 »
the clay will only sink to the bottom if it is in lumps. If it is not, it settles last - and any organic should float.

Gravel and coarse sand will be the deepest, then sand then silt, then the clay.

It is best to leave the milk bottle/glass jar 24 hours after shaking - to let the clay absorb the water and then shake again and watch how the second shaking settles.

If you have alot of fine clay, then it can take 24 hours to actually settle.

Stripey_cat

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 19:39 »

It depends ::)  If you can stack it in a large, neat heap and let it get really hot, and turn it regularly, it rots down quickly (less than three months sometimes).  If you dribble small piles around where the rain can get into it and cool it can stay manky for a year or more.   If the animals were bedded on shavings or some times of pelleted litter it can take a lot longer to rot down than straw.

rideandy

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 22:44 »
Cheers.
Now off to find a glass milk bottle, lol.

rideandy

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 22:46 »

It depends ::)  If you can stack it in a large, neat heap and let it get really hot, and turn it regularly, it rots down quickly (less than three months sometimes).  If you dribble small piles around where the rain can get into it and cool it can stay manky for a year or more.   If the animals were bedded on shavings or some times of pelleted litter it can take a lot longer to rot down than straw.

Thanks, neat heap it will be then!
Cheers

FCG

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 23:33 »
Rideandy you might be best asking your plot neighbours about your plots soil as you are likely to have similar starting conditions. They will also be the best source of any info about your soil i.e. has it been infected with club root or has been contaminated with aminpopolyoid (sp?)

Adey

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 19:54 »
Definitely do the glass jar test.  I thought my soil was clay, being in London, but it's actually proven to be 60% silt, & only 10% clay.  And 0% organic matter.  So do the bottle test, & add loads & loads of compost.  On 25 sq metres of plot I've added about 20 bags (1,500 litres).  Still not enough!

xx
SOIL - HELP PLEASE

Started by Shandy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 11, 2008, 16:56
by woodburner
xx
soil for Tom's

Started by Lenny59 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 09, 2009, 18:40
by pushrod
xx
top soil

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post December 02, 2009, 20:26
by mumofstig
xx
Uses for top soil

Started by matt80 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 30, 2009, 22:10
by Stripey_cat

Page created in 0.447 seconds with 38 queries.