yummy treats xxxx

• 19 Replies

dawnie77

yummy treats xxxx
« on: June 24, 2011, 23:34 »
Hello all, im new to keeping chicken and so far seem to be doing well, think i might have the bug already lol there so relaxing to watch.

Was just wondering what yummy treats i could buy or make that they will enjoy???? ive read yougurt with oats(an they be just breakfast plain porrige oats?)
Any idea im sure my chicks will appreciate
Thanks
Dawn
 :)

terri

• 1st egg
Re: yummy treats xxxx
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 05:36 »
they love mealworms ,in fact they pretty much eat anything ,you can tie up a corn on cob for them to jump up at eat  :D
4 children, 1 hubby, 2 g,pigs, 1 gecko 3 hens, 2 fish,2 cats

dawnie77

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 10:09 »
Thankyou for your reply. gonna put them on the shopping list lol

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 10:17 »
remember treats such as sunflower seeds, rice, pasta, mealworms, etc are just that treats (like our chocolate) and as such should not be given too often.
Staffies are softer than you think.

dawnie77

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 10:23 »
thankyou, i often dig up a few worms for them, well my 4 yr old son does. want them to be as tame as poss, cant belive how much pleasure i get from sitting out with them lol
they feed out of my hand and follow me around.
just got 2 more 6 week chicks last week so at the moment got them seperate until i feel they can be together, my other 4 are 11 weeks so are alot bigger in size. hoping in about a month they will be bigger enough to fend for themselves.
loving every min, just want a bigger space, altho i feel they have enough and are allowed out of there area for a hours munch on the grass.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 06:22 »
Chickens can eat pretty much anything humans can eat, within reason.  Just be careful not to give them too much salt (so no crisps, bacon, salted peanuts, etc) and be aware that they do need a balanced diet to have the best health.  

Mine seem to like eating bugs the best.  They are currently off soft things like worms and slugs, but really like crunchy bugs like crickets.  :tongue2:
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 10:16 by Lindeggs »

dawnie77

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 07:24 »
cheers, they seemed to enjoy a low fat natural yogurt with some porrage oats mixed in, but they aint touched the nice fresh corn on the cob hanging, there still the 2 big bites my son pinched before i put it in there lol

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 08:44 »
Half a dozen kernels of whole (dried) maize each is good for getting them eating out of your hand. If you train them to jump up on a perch to get it they are easily picked up for inspection/medication etc. :)

orchardlady

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 21:25 »
Just had a look at my old posts and found this. Perfect in the winter or any time of year really. The hens just love it and of course you can reduce the quantities for just a few birds or you can make lots of small ones to have a ready supply. I haven't tried it on my wild bird table but I bet they would enjoy it to.

Orchardlady :)

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=68249.msg785071#msg785071

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 11:48 »
Okay, this might seem a little 'out there' but I give mine Pigeon Conditioner seed mix(the small fine variety)  also safflower seeds, groaties, and red wheat.  This is just a handful for the entire garden a day.  Yum, yum, yum! 
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

dawnie77

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 14:43 »
cant belive how much they can have, got them some mealworms today, looking forward to seeing how they enjoy them  :)
is it a case of the better there feed the better the egg????????

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 23:33 »
cant belive how much they can have, got them some mealworms today, looking forward to seeing how they enjoy them  :)
is it a case of the better there feed the better the egg????????

Yes.  But 'better' doesn't mean more treats.  It means a carefully balanced diet.  That means a well formulated layer ration, unlimited access to cool, fresh water, and plenty of good quality fresh food like grass, bugs, etc.

Sooz

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 07:44 »
Melon seeds, the left over part from red/green peppers chopped up small, chopped cucumber, even chopped onions.
Mine go mad for these. It's as though they haven't eaten for a week!!!
I'm not young enough to know everything!

dawnie77

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 22:56 »
mine have growers pellets down all the time which they do eat and as an afternoon snack they get a cupfull of mixed corn then when i go spend a bit of time in the eve with them i take them a treat which is either tomatoes/cucumber , soaked mealworms or low fat natural yogurt with porriage oats and a sprinkle of garlic powder, i kinda figured that garlic is good for us and dogs so maybe it will be good for them too, does this all sound ok?????.

8doubles

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2011, 08:17 »
mine have growers pellets down all the time which they do eat and as an afternoon snack they get a cupfull of mixed corn then when i go spend a bit of time in the eve with them i take them a treat which is either tomatoes/cucumber , soaked mealworms or low fat natural yogurt with porriage oats and a sprinkle of garlic powder, i kinda figured that garlic is good for us and dogs so maybe it will be good for them too, does this all sound ok?????.

There has to be a law against garlic yogurt and garlic porridge ........eeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwww !  :tongue2:

xx
Ideas for treats!!!!!!

Started by karenjayne on Chicken Chat

11 Replies
Last post May 17, 2011, 21:36
by Lindeggs
question
your chicken treats ?

Started by Tricky on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 15:13
by joyfull
xx
What Christmas treats have your lot managed to con out of you

Started by New shoot on Chicken Chat

14 Replies
Last post January 01, 2011, 09:38
by Springlands
xx
What's your chooks Fave Treats?

Started by Fraggle on Chicken Chat

14 Replies
Last post June 17, 2012, 15:52
by Prod

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 40 queries.