A good book sort-out!

• 7 Replies

Goosegirl

A good book sort-out!
« on: September 14, 2018, 14:41 »
Our little old cottage has rather limited space to say the least, and am struggling to find places for all my books. I only have one medium-sized oak and glass cabinet, my dad's 60's oak bookcase that he made, and a drawer under the bed. Needs must and I will have to be ruthless (not that she was any help whatsoever) and have a real good sort-out. I've got reference books (no), knitting, crochet and decorating books (yes), gardening and cooking books I don't use (yes), plus a myriad of other books that were presents but I don't use them. This is really going to hurt as I'm so used to seeing ones I got many years ago, but if I don't use or need them then they must go. I feel a car boot sale coming on!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

madcat

Re: A good book sort-out!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 18:46 »
I feel for you!  Even sending a few to the local charity book sale each year is hard.  :( :(  Will the world be kind to them?  :( :( :(
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 19:08 »
Books are so personal aren't they.

Whe we thought we might move several years ago, we chucked a load of old faves in the bin, including some we'd had since we were married.

Now we're still here for good, we keep going to the charity shop and buying new ones, and the shelves are even fuller with titles which we really do want to read, but get overtaken by the local library, because we like - er - just going there!

Charity shops always take books, Goosey, and the bigger ones can sell them on Ebay, so that may be an answer!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 19:42 »
It's not easy - Val (who is very cruel to me) says we can't build an extension just to incorporate a library. She also vetoed my cunning plan to put a room into the loft.  It's not so much the thought of giving them away as how they'll be looked after. Will they be appreciated or pulped.. oh the horror!
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 21:12 »
When my mum died I contacted the hospital she had been in to see if they wanted her books for their volunteer library, they snapped them up.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 11:16 »
When my mum died I contacted the hospital she had been in to see if they wanted her books for their volunteer library, they snapped them up.
What a good idea! :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 17:05 »
It will take several trips to the charity shop by which time I will have arms like an orang-utan! I too want some of them to go to a good home but I have no control over who buys them. I support St John's Hospice and am wondering if they have a little library where they could go, or they could sell them on. Whichever way, as long as some deserving cause gets the money that's good enough for me.

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 18:36 »
Kent libraries have a system where if you have a decent, clean book, they'll take it free and use it to lend as all the other books they have.

My latest book is a charity book, new and unread, and cost me 50 pence...

xx
Yet another sort of freebie.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post December 23, 2019, 14:04
by Goosegirl
xx
More book Authors

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post February 12, 2022, 17:42
by jezza
xx
At last, the book and the TV series...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post February 11, 2018, 09:06
by Growster...
xx
Book Club - the film

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post June 05, 2018, 15:34
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 46 queries.