Shocked and disappointed!

• 13 Replies

spud

• Experienced Member
Shocked and disappointed!
« on: February 04, 2010, 11:14 »
I was watching TV last evening and happened on Jimmy's show ... I was so shocked at the way our food is grown ... I don't see how anyone could be healthy eating food that is completely grown by chemicals ... I was sad at the thought that our food was sprayed and had chemical fertiliser sown ... but to be grown in the way it is really shocked me ...

Sorry to be ranting on ... perhaps its ok by some to grow food like this ... but my garden is going to get an even harder work out this year.

Cheers

:(
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 11:47 by spud »
Best Regards,

spud

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Shocked and disappointed!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 12:00 »
You are surely preaching to the converted :) I think that's why most of us grow nowadays :D

Cazzy

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 12:18 »
I've never heard of Jimmy's show, what channel was it on?
What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

Parsnip

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 12:29 »
I think it's BBC two Cazzy :unsure:.

I'm surprised you are so shocked to be honest spud. A lot of us have known for many years that the food in our supermarkets has been smothered in chemicals. Like mum says that's why so many of us grow our own now.. :D

It's a good thing I suppose. If it's shocked you, then hopefully a few more people will realise too..I haven't seen this episode, might look it up on I player.

spud

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 12:59 »
Yes I knew chemicals were used ... but ... they were growing potatoes in the desert just sand, sunshine, chemical fertiliser in the water + then it was tomatoes and peppers under glass with added lights and again no soil, just chemicals in the water and all shipped to the UK ... I'm sorry, but this just isn't right ... and we wonder why we are all feeling so tired, unwell etc... well its no wonder in my view ... so much for your five a day, rubbish.

Cheers

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 13:53 »
They did find that modern fruit and veg contained a lot less vitamins and minerals  than they did years ago............now you know why, don't you?

Parsnip

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 17:33 »
Yes I knew chemicals were used ... but ... they were growing potatoes in the desert just sand, sunshine, chemical fertiliser in the water + then it was tomatoes and peppers under glass with added lights and again no soil, just chemicals in the water and all shipped to the UK ... I'm sorry, but this just isn't right ... and we wonder why we are all feeling so tired, unwell etc... well its no wonder in my view ... so much for your five a day, rubbish.

Cheers

Oh dear, that does sound bad..not sure I want to watch it afterall :( :(

Cazzy

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 18:02 »

Thanks Parsnip, it was BBC2.

What an eye opener, fair enough for exotic fruits etc that we can't grow here but seed potatoes shipped to Egypt from Scotland grown there in sand then shipped back to us in peat from Ireland....... shocking.

tez

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 18:24 »
i watched it to how can getting seed spud flown from Scotland  and peat from ireland to egypt  and flying them back be cost effective  :wacko:

solway cropper

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 21:46 »
My son has M.E. which has robbed him of his childhood/youth and which I put down to contact with chemicals in the environment....he played in the woods where a farmer had dumped a lot of agrochemical drums.  I knew a chap who was out walking and laid down for a rest at the edge of a field of cereal. Unbeknown to him they were crop spraying in the area and he was covered in god know what. Within months he developed M.E. The symptoms are similar to Gulf War Syndrome...also a result of a chemical cocktail pumped into human bodies. If you still buy fruit and veg from a supermarket you really should be afraid.

Elcie

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 21:48 »

Thanks Parsnip, it was BBC2.

What an eye opener, fair enough for exotic fruits etc that we can't grow here but seed potatoes shipped to Egypt from Scotland grown there in sand then shipped back to us in peat from Ireland....... shocking.

I thought it was BBC1 but I am probably wrong.

I enjoyed the programme, was surprised to see potatoes growing in sand, but I wasn't that shocked to be honest.  Agree that it is sad but if we keep demanding products out of season the supermarkets will continue to source these products one way or another.

solway cropper

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 22:12 »
we keep demanding products out of season

The food industry gives people food out of season because they can. The demand doesn't exist until the marketing people convince the uninformed that this is what they really want.

Cazzy

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 23:55 »
With regards to the potatoes, we can grow and store them here for out of season purchase and I  think its crazy to go through the whole Scottish/Irish/Egyptian route but I have a bit of a dilema now, those people growing and picking the green beans would be out of a job and couldn't send their kids to school if it weren't for us buying their beans out of season.

lisa80

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 09:59 »
when i worked in a kitchen in a pub my boss once said about the swede being a funny colour and sloppy ,i said why keep buying them then ?she said they were in season this was in may . ::)i  laughed and said they taste better after a frost and that they werent really in season she wouldnt have it . i think people need to be re educated on seasonal veg and take more notice of labels saying where its grown etc

xx
a little disappointed

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 27, 2008, 08:08
by chrissie B
xx
very disappointed and downhearted!!!!

Started by Coop-a-Cabana on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post August 10, 2010, 23:06
by Coop-a-Cabana
xx
Disappointed with peppers....

Started by Sally A on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 24, 2007, 13:33
by muntjac
xx
Disappointed in the Music

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 29, 2013, 16:38
by Tea Break

Page created in 0.464 seconds with 40 queries.