Last Charlie Passes Away

• 7 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Last Charlie Passes Away
« on: January 20, 2022, 13:11 »
The last of the original Charlies passed away in her sleep. I went up to the run and she wasn’t there waiting. Opened the back of the coop and she was lying there, gone.

Farewell little hen.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Growster...

Re: Last Charlie Passes Away
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 15:45 »
Posted there John!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 18:43 »
Sorry to hear that John. They all have such different personalities, don't they?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 20:57 »
Ahh commiserations John, it’s still sad when they go even though it’s inevitable. My one of the same breed (pink girl as she’s known) was looking ropey after the necessaries had to happen with another of my flock of 3, so I got 3 new girls so I didn’t end up with 1 old girl over the winter & unable to get any new ones to keep her company, & then pink girl rallied round  :lol: so I’m back to 5. Pink girl is coming up to about 4 + 1/2 (as my granddaughter had her for her 2nd birthday & she’ll be 6 next month,) so I suppose her days are numbered. The other old girl is easily 7 but is a white Sussex so I believe a pure breed so supposed to live longer.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 00:26 »
Obviously I've lost birds before but this one was particularly sad. Although they all look similar, I always knew it was her just by the way she behaved. Seeing her just lying on her side, cold and stiff hit me hard. Only consolation is she had a much longer and I like to think happier life than she would have had in a commercial flock.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 07:14 »
Only consolation is she had a much longer and I like to think happier life than she would have had in a commercial flock.

She did without a doubt and went to bed that night without a care.  It is not a bad way to live - or the alternative for that matter.

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2022, 12:13 »
Yes NS I couldn’t agree more, a much nicer life than a commercial hen. I often feel a bit sad for mine as they don’t free range, being at the allotment it isn’t feasible, I do wonder if I could make them an ‘outside’ run to move round on to spare ground, but I rarely have ‘spare ground’. Obviously at the moment non are free ranging because of Flockdown.
Hope you’re feeling better today John, how has Gabe taken it?

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2022, 13:14 »
Thanks. Much appreciated.

Gabe isn't really aware of it since they have a flock in their back garden he's not so interested in ours. Kids can be very matter of fact about losing pets or really upset. You never know until it happens.

xx
Farewell Queen Charlie

Started by John on New Across The Site

3 Replies
Last post March 09, 2019, 16:30
by sunshineband
xx
Farewell Charlie Chicken Three

Started by John on New Across The Site

2 Replies
Last post July 27, 2019, 23:25
by John

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 46 queries.