Winning on the new plot... (",)

• 3 Replies

DHM

• Experienced Member
Winning on the new plot... (",)
« on: July 23, 2018, 18:44 »
So 2 and a bit months after taking on a weed ridden plot from hell, for the 1st time this weekend we visited not to break our backs digging over hard soil in the sweltering heat, but actually take it easy and harvest the 1st of our crops - a cucumber and a yellow courgette.

We've dug over 4x 11ft by 18ft beds of a 6 rod plot, planted peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, courgettes, leeks, lettuces, french beans (all from established plants), and sown swedes, beetroots and swiss chard seeds. The rest is covered and the other areas of weed infested wasteland... well they can wait!

Feels for the 1st time like we're winning. The kids have fun down there, we've got all our tools, compost bins etc for nowt and the huge years-old weedpile to the back is actually great compost underneath, ready to be spread once the ground is level.

Looking forward to enjoying the toms which are starting to ripen. Thanks for all your help and advice, we're on the way...!

Wilf

Re: Winning on the new plot... (",)
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 20:18 »
Brilliant stuff... sounds amazing and you are getting on top of it all. It’s the best when the little ones get involved too

Keep it going

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 23:10 »
Brilliant stuff... sounds amazing and you are getting on top of it all. It’s the best when the little ones get involved too

Keep it going

Getting the boys (aged 2.5 and 4.5) onside has been crucial, they have their own rakes and watering cans and love being given jobs to do like watering the soil and finding stones to pile up. When they get bored of that they rifle through the stuff in the shed, find snails and insects, climb up the tree stump and get each other wet with water from the tank. In time, they'll have their own bit to grow things like sunflowers and pumpkins and we plan to make a log pile for slow worms, hedgehog digs, a bug hotel and wormery to keep their interest. Any other tips would be welcome!

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 13:43 »
That is so brilliant to read!  :) My niece-in-law has taken an interest in growing things for her family and has taken over two of my veg beds because I can't do what I used to do in the garden. She is a complete novice but just loves to get her hands in the soil. I give her some advice then just let her get on with it which she really appreciates because it's a quiet time for her which is much needed. Her two children have helped out but if she only has her youngest he sits in his pram chair quite happily while mum's weeding etc. They have gone back home with carrier bags laden with some of their produce and some of ours, plus we give her kids a few strawberries or raspberries as a treat. Tell you what, children will remember these precious times for the rest of their lives, and ain't that wonderful.  :)
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
"My plot is ready for inspection Sir"

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post June 03, 2012, 08:56
by sarajane
xx
"Twigs" in corner of new plot

Started by rogertb on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 26, 2018, 17:58
by rogertb
xx
A peek at my "new" plot

Started by richyrich7 on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post June 16, 2010, 23:24
by Elaine G
xx
Are you a seed "chitting" or "no-chit" sort of person?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 12:00
by crh75

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 43 queries.