Two eggs at once?

• 8 Replies

shiatsusu

Two eggs at once?
« on: March 09, 2009, 12:53 »
Hello everyone  ::)
We've been away this weekend and returned to find these (see pics) lying in the hen run. Clucky produced an egg first thing so I know it wasn't her and Rennie (maran) laid her first ever egg last thurs and one on fri, then nothing sat or sun. They are the only two I know are laying, the rest are POL and don't look ready yet. Today's two eggs are completely different colour to rennie's other two which were brown speckled like you'd expect for a maran (have put pic of the three together). Today's two have thin shells and both have lumps on the top (tried to take pic to show this, not sure whether it worked) and they are pink. Is it possible for a hen to get rid of two eggs in one day if she's got backed up over a weekend?  ???
3 odd eggs.jpg
Lumpy bumpy mini egg.jpg

andreadon

• My Diary
Re: Two eggs at once?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 13:02 »
it's not likely, especially in the winter when you don't get a full day of light.
maybe one of the others has started to lay without you noticing?

shiatsusu

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 13:05 »
That's what I wondered- could poss be the sussex. Right colour shell and she's getting a red face too! The smaller egg looks like another wind egg so praps that's it  ???

Vember

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 14:17 »
Hi Susu, I've had two eggs in one day :)
Second one was a soft shell and was laid in front of me in the kitchen, poor Mo looked amazed when she saw it :lol: The look on her face was "did I just do that" :lol:

How do I know she laid two?
Mo always laid at the same time everyday  :ohmy: She didn't have a usual 25 hour cycle opting for 24 hour instead :lol: I had collected that mornings egg earlier. At the time only had 5 hens and knew each egg layer as the eggs were all slightly different i colour & shape :)

So it is possible :)

Sarah :D

shiatsusu

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 15:18 »
Thanks Sarah- I've been indulging myself all day thinking "bless her, she's really missed me and that's why she didn't lay, then I get home and plop out come two at once!"  Perhaps they are both Ren's and I'm right (not necessarily about the missing part :lol:). I suppose tomorrow I'll know for sure. D'you think the odd shapes and consistency are because she's new to laying rather than a nutritional lack? I'm worrying about it  :(

Vember

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 15:26 »
I would imagine she's just getting into the swing of things :)
Some of my first time eggs have been very odd, although they were mainly the geese eggs :lol:

I wouldn't worry too much yet give her a week or two to get into the full swing :) And then only worry if they become regular :D

Mo didn't lay the next day after her 2 in one day so don't be surprised if you have to wait till Wednesday for the next one :)

Sarah :)

shiatsusu

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 18:17 »
I was telling my little boy about it and he said "mummy you'll have to wait till wednesday because Ren's used up her egg allowance for tomorrow laying two today" 8 and already an expert!  :tongue2:

smiler43

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 20:13 »
Think your little boy is right!  My girls have laid 2 in a day, when I first got them and they hadn't been laying long.  Had quite a few months with one good egg in the morning then after looking off (tail down and fluffed up) another was laid could be right there where they are.  After that wouldn't lay the next day but after that ok.  After a few months of this they settled down and have been fine since laying 1 egg everyday.  Like it's been said must take a while to get in the swing of it :o)

shiatsusu

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 22:10 »
Thanks so much everyone- I feel reassured!  ::)

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 41 queries.