Elderberry wine

• 8 Replies

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
Elderberry wine
« on: February 16, 2007, 14:23 »
In October 2005 I made 6 gallons of Edlberry Wine after helping a friend cut down an Elder in their garden.  This was fermented and bottled and stored on the top of the Welsh Dresser in our Kitchen.
Last night I lifted a bottle down, blew off the dust and then opened it.  It smelt very fruity, not at all vinegery so I tipped myself a glass.  Holding it up to the light in was a deep red colour without any floaty bits.
My other half looked at it, smelt it and then said "your not going to drink it are you - it has got to be past its best!"
She was extremely wrong, it is probably the best home made wine I have ever tasted.
It just goes to prove that it pays to wait to drink your home brew.

There are another 19 bottles to go - guess what I am doing this weekend?
Enjoying the traditional ways and values of life.

beancounter

Elderberry wine
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 17:49 »
Brilliant!! - as you have proved elderberry wine in particular must be matured because of its high tannin content (the same as a good claret) and can be quite harsh when young. It will continue to improve and your challenge is to keep a few bottles back and see what another year or three will do.

My only suggestion is that you keep it somewhere cooler if possible.

Cheers
When the weather changes I shall ....

Dabhand

Elderberry wine
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 18:35 »
So what's your address, I'm coming round :) .

Is it possible you could give me a brief rundown of how you made it please.  because if it seems fairly easy, I might have a go this year.  I made my first elderflower cordial last year which was really nice but I don't know anything about wine making.

Cheers!!

Dawn

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Elderberry wine
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 21:50 »
Reminds me of years ago Rugby, when I had made some elderberry wine, we visited my aunt and I gave her a bottle.  5 years later, we went to see her again, and she said, would you like a drink?  so she was rummaging in her cupboard, and said oh, I odn't know what this is, hey its your elderberry wine Ann.

And like you said, it was beautiful, more like a rich ruby port!!! point is, I never get to save em for long enough!!!

muntjac

Elderberry wine
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 22:45 »
i did elderbery rocket fuel many years ago , put as many elderberies  as i copuld in a barrel after drilling a hole in the lid for the airlock . shoved hot water in to the top and the yeast activator n 4 bags sugar n just left it for ages till it stoped bubling . put it through an old cotton sheet .white at the time , the stain was definatly permamnant lol .. squished all the juices out the mush , refilled the barrel to the top after adding 4 more bags sugar n more yeast n left it to go again .. couple months later add more sugar n yeast  finally cleared n botled it after about a year .. was like drinking 505 proof whisky .4 glasses n i waa gone to gaga land
still alive /............

Dabhand

Elderberry wine
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 22:53 »
So where can I get me a barrell????

muntjac

Elderberry wine
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 23:07 »
a home brew shop sells them now mate  fermentation barels .. mine wasa chip oil one from chippy

Dabhand

Elderberry wine
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 23:19 »
Thanks Muntjac and I had this vision of a beautiful well seasoned old oak barrell lol.....

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
Re: Elderberry wine
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 19:54 »
Hi, i too have a tale very similar, regarding a demijohn long forgoten. I thought the taste like a good port, but how many of us have it in them to keep something that long.

xx
Elderberry wine.

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Homebrew

18 Replies
Last post September 13, 2009, 21:14
by Damson
xx
elderberry wine

Started by mushroom on Homebrew

6 Replies
Last post July 01, 2008, 07:57
by symond steve
xx
elderberry wine recipes?

Started by poppie on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post July 09, 2009, 20:45
by Jay Dubya
xx
Elderberry/flower wine

Started by norfolkgrog on Homebrew

11 Replies
Last post February 27, 2009, 20:27
by Stripey_cat

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 38 queries.