• Experienced Member
Wyandottes - LF or Bantams?
« on: June 10, 2010, 09:59 »
Which do you prefer and why?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Wyandottes - LF or Bantams?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 10:04 »
I moved this into chicken chat as it really a problem which is what the hen house is really for  :).
As for bantams or large fowl I would say it depends on the space you have, size of eggs you want, and size of spare cockerels you may have to eat.
Staffies are softer than you think.

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 10:07 »
Thank you Joyfull.

I would have thought most people would want large eggs (and large birds for the table) but would I be right in thinking that most people prefer Bantams?

lukasmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 10:10 »
I love both types of wyandotte - although the bantams are definitely cuter! :tongue2:

joyfull

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 10:11 »
no, most don't (I have both) but often people don't have the space to accomodate large fowl and some breeds of bantams (like my sablepoots - which by the way do only come in bantam size as they are true bantams) will not damage lawns owing to their feathered feet. Bantams do seem to be prolific at breeding though  ;)  :lol:

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 10:15 »
Maybe it's a colour thing.  I have been looking mainly at the newer colours so I guess that gives me a biased view.  Most of the people talking about colours seem to be into Bantams not that it's enough to make any really informed impression. :D

lisa80

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 10:26 »
hi i have a trio of silver laced wyandottes they are large fowl and boy they are big and beautiful ,we bought the girls pol in march and they are still not laying yet  :(they are fully grown but have only just got their wattles properly .cant wait to hatch some babies but will be next season ::)

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 10:30 »
Lol Lisa - it's like watching paint dry when you are waiting for the next stage.  You can see why I got so frustrated with the dogs.  The was no sensible way I could have done much breeding and keep control of decent homes for any pups I produced.

Mind you, I find people in the poultry world so much nicer than they are in the dog world.  I guess it's a money thing, and maybe status too.  You don't get many dog breeders sharing there secrets.

I wonder how easy it is it cross between LF and Bantams if you wanted a particular gene?

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 10:33 »
very easy, but you end up with a mid size bird which is not what you want.

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 10:36 »
Is size the only genetic difference?  I gues that would be easy if somewhat time-consuming to correct?

joyfull

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 10:39 »
think it could take quite a few years to correct it, which is why the first chocolate orps (bantam first then LF) were selling for a bomb. The price has now come down.

Casey76

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 10:59 »
I think in Grant Beretons book he mentions making  new colour over 10 generations in 6 years.

Since hens come to maturity fairly quickly (and obviously gestation is only 21 days) it is possible to get two generations one yer and one the next if you hatch both very early and very late in the season the first year.

I would love to have some LF buff colombian dottes, but at the moment they only come in bantam (which are very beautiful)... I'm not sure if I would actually have the time or patience to creat a new colour, but woud be fairly interested in trying to perfect a recently "made" one... but there is no way I would pay silly money for eggs (there are 6 LF choc orp eggs on ebay for 181 pounds atm! (and the cock is only split choc))

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 11:03 »
I know - it's crazy the way some things go.  When I found Sarah who supplied my eggs for the Wyandotte Cream, the auction (that had already ended) was about £37 for 6 eggs incl. P&P, so when she said £5 I thought she meant £5 each but she meant £5 for 6  :D

xx
Wyandottes

Started by kevin bibby on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post June 17, 2010, 22:24
by animal mad
xx
Wyandottes

Started by ali2 on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 13:00
by ANHBUC
question
Anyone experienced in Wyandottes??

Started by Rubyroo on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post October 27, 2011, 13:03
by Casey76
xx
Bantams, how many eggs?

Started by Gemjt on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 14:55
by evie2

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 36 queries.