Blue eggs

• 14 Replies

Cleo

• Experienced Member
Blue eggs
« on: September 10, 2008, 10:55 »
I have just been given some pick n mix fertile hen eggs to hatch !!
Probably because of my awful history with the ducks :-)
Some white,some brown some normal egg colour and some BLUE...
What sort of hen lays blue eggs ?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Blue eggs
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 10:59 »
Araucana ??
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Vember

Blue eggs
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 11:02 »
Hi Cleo

There are two types of hen lay blue eggies 1 is the Araucana and the other is I think a cream legbar :?

Sarah :)

Cleo

• Experienced Member
Blue eggs
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 11:09 »
Cool...I've just had another look in the box and I have some dark greenish eggs also..almost khaki coloured.

They are from a local farm who seem to have a large selection of different birds free ranging....so....we will have to wait and see what hatches.

Then I can post pics and the wise amongst us can tell me what the heck they are LOL

mumsy

Blue eggs
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 11:28 »
I am hoping for olive eggies from my Araucana, she is lavender so they will prob be more blue, the darker the Araucana the greener the egg, Babe has a black one, I am very jealous & can't wait to see what colour her's are.  Yes, Cream Legbars lay blue too, here is my Holly's eggie

Cleo

• Experienced Member
Blue eggs
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 12:37 »
That's just like mine :-)

That's really helpful thanks.

The khaki / green ones are quite different. They look like an ordinary brown egg that has been dipped in green paint. It's quite a dense colour. The blues are more delicate.

APRIL

Blue eggs
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 13:32 »
My rather rare Shetland Hens lay Olive green eggs.  Their yolks are always the darkest orange I see in any of my eggs and they are especially yummy !

I would really like to know where you got these eggs from as I am desperately trying to find a supplier of pure-breed Shetlands and it may be worth contacting your supplier to see if (just by chance) his green eggs are from Shetlands - doubt it somehow but worth a try.

Cleo

• Experienced Member
Blue eggs
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 14:26 »
I doubt that they are because of his pick and mix approach. The Shetland genes would be very diluted.

There ia a lady who posts on The Poultry Keeper forum who actually lives in the Shetlands and has four Shetland hens and one cockerel....Olive green eggs a specialty.

Esther.R

APRIL

Blue eggs
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 14:37 »
I am sure you are right - clutching at straws !!
I am waiting for Shetland Hatching eggs from a lady 'up north'  Her pure-bred girls have thrown a moody just now because of the rain - my Shetlands do the same - but once they are on the go again I'm hoping for a delivery.  I think I emailed the lady on the Shetland Isles but sadly never got a reply.  Like me, she probably hoards her special olive eggs!  If I finally manage to hatch some chicks, I definately intend to keep a Cockerell this time.  It would be very sad to see the lovely Shetland Chicken die out altogether and I just can't face breakfast without my green eggs.

I have blue egg layers as well - Auracana, Cream Legbars and Heritage Skylines (a Legbar X)  Lovely delicate blue eggs produced by all of them.

Cleo

• Experienced Member
Blue eggs
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 16:53 »
If any of mine turn out to be shetland I will let you know :-)

scooter

Blue eggs
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 19:25 »
I've got a hybrid Columbine and she lays very pale blue eggs
Life is good

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Blue eggs
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 10:49 »
Quote from: "mumsy"
I am hoping for olive eggies from my Araucana, she is lavender so they will prob be more blue, the darker the Araucana the greener the egg, Babe has a black one, I am very jealous & can't wait to see what colour her's are.  Yes, Cream Legbars lay blue too, here is my Holly's eggie

has she not started laying either? i keep looking and nothing.

jemima started this week. 1st was normal, 2nd blooming huge, and a double yolker, 3rd just as big. and hey are a lovely dark brown. so hopefully green eggs any day now.

poppy and tulip my cream legbars are sisters to mumsy's holly and lay the same pretty blue eggs.

mumsy

Blue eggs
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 17:28 »
Hi Babe, where you bin? are you feeling better now?  Hope so
Mimi started laying last week (the wheaten maran) lovely dark reddy brown, one every other day at the mo.  Hopefully your Araucana will be soon as they are roughly the same age :D
I think Peppa will be a while yet, maybe even next year now as the days are drawing in :cry:  Dotty, I think is a couple of weeks away.

Kate and her Ducks

Blue eggs
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 17:34 »
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for blue eggs from my dark Campbell ducks. Sending blue eggy thoughts to all :lol:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Blue eggs
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 22:18 »
Quote from: "APRIL"
My rather rare Shetland Hens lay Olive green eggs.  Their yolks are always the darkest orange I see in any of my eggs and they are especially yummy !

A pic of your lovely birds would be nice please April  :D

xx
blue eggs

Started by agingchick on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post November 18, 2009, 19:23
by IMOmimey
xx
Blue eggs

Started by millymolymandy on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 23, 2009, 20:21
by millymolymandy
xx
Blue eggs

Started by Tony H on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 26, 2011, 13:08
by joyfull
xx
Soon to have blue eggs

Started by mumsy on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post January 06, 2008, 23:48
by mumsy

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 29 queries.