Netting fruit bushes

• 7 Replies

Spr0ut

Netting fruit bushes
« on: June 28, 2014, 23:27 »
I have a mess of fruit bushes (I inherited them this way!) - thornless blackberry, blackcurrant, redcurrant - all in fruit and starting to turn to ripe colours soon.

Do I need to make sure the nets are pegged to the ground all around or would it be enough to drape the net over the tops of the bushes on canes just higher than the bushes so the birds cant peck through the net from above?

I am presuming birds will not fly under a net and harvest the fruit from underneath because they couldn't fly upward under the net. - or do I need to completely enclose the bushes?

(I need to fully enclose the bushes don't I, thinking it through)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Netting fruit bushes
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 23:47 »
Blackbirds will fly under nets to get your fruit.  They are very smart birds  :)

Spr0ut

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 00:00 »
Yes, I thought that. My concern is I don't think my spare nets are going to reach over now the bushes have put on a bit of mass since last year.

I do need to fully enclose though because I don't want to see birds snagged up on the insides of my nets.

I guess because I am not trying to keep small insects out it would be ok to lace nets up with garden string to close the nets up.

I am thinking of 6ft bamboo canes with bottles on the ends and nets draped over, stitched together with garden twine and pegged down with tent pegs as I have all these and think about a more permanent cage for next year.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 00:21 »
That sounds grand :D

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 07:01 »
Usually the birds only get ten per cent, so if you have a lot of raas, then it's probably cheaper to let them get on with it, and don't bother to net!

I usually break up my nets on raas, and just gave up eventually..;0)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 07:47 »
Birds tend not to go for blackberries, so I wouldn't worry about those.

Netting red currants is essential. As soon as they start to turn, the bushes will be stripped. Due to circumstances beyond my control (I won't bore you with my story about a possible DVT) I've lost the lot this year.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 08:40 »
Birds tend not to go for blackberries, so I wouldn't worry about those.

Netting red currants is essential. As soon as they start to turn, the bushes will be stripped. Due to circumstances beyond my control (I won't bore you with my story about a possible DVT) I've lost the lot this year.

Sorry to hear about your woes, DD - I hope it gets better ASAP!

And thanks for the reminder about berries, we need to wrap our blueberries as soon as we can!

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 12:54 »
DD - I echo Growster's wishes for you too.
As for netting fruit, they do need to be totally enclosed as you say. Depending on the width and length of net you have, you could make a cage for them by inserting canes or something similar around the bush or area at intervals down each side. Get some old hosepipe or similar and cut into lengths that will allow it to be pushed down over the tops of these canes to form a roof. If the hosepipe needs strengthening, push a cane right into it so it doesn't sag. Drape a length of netting over the roof and secure to the side canes with plastic ties. Get another length of netting and, starting at the top, wrap the sides with it so it well covers the edges of the roof netting - but leave enough at the bottom to either bury it or to secure it with bricks or whatever you have handy. To access the fruit, push up the side netting or, if you cut the side netting into four (one for each side) and secure with twine in a granny knot, just undo the knots and then re-tie them after.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
fruit trees and fruit bushes...

Started by Nicki85 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 15, 2013, 23:37
by Sparkyrog
xx
fruit bushes

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 11, 2011, 19:03
by aqua
xx
Fruit bushes

Started by paul2004 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 20, 2008, 09:39
by gobs
xx
Fruit bushes

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 20:54
by Ice

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 28 queries.