swollen abdomen

• 11 Replies

pammie

swollen abdomen
« on: September 20, 2011, 20:36 »
Hi Folks, my Nora has had a swollen abdomen for a couple of days, she is eating and drinking ok and wandering around the garden with the others but sits down sometimes. Her comb is not as red as the others and she is not laying eggs.  A while ago she had a blocked crop and had to have an operation to clear it.  she is two years old and was always top chicken but since her operation is not. The stress of the operation made her loose some feathers.  Anyone have any ideas please.

Charlie's Chickens

• Experienced Member
Re: swollen abdomen
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 20:39 »
Sounds like it could be egg peritonitis. I have had 2 girls with this. I would suggest a visit to the vet sooner rather than later. Good luck.
Emma

pammie

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 20:42 »
Thanks for that,  I was thinking of taking her tomorrow unless someone had any ideas

pammie

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 20:44 »
By the way what is egg peritonitis? and what causes it

Charlie's Chickens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 20:56 »
From what I remember the vet telling me, it is when the egg doesn't form properly and creates scrambled egg in them causing infection. I may be wrong and will stand corrected. The one thing I do remember and spotted the next time, it tends to give them a duck waddle when they walk. Good luck for tomorrow.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 20:58 »
It's often fatal :(

leddenton

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 21:31 »
I lost my first chicken with this as left it for a few days before seeking help from the vet and ended up having to have her put down. Seek help ASAP. Hope she recovers

pammie

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 22:18 »
Thanks Charlie's chickens.  Will let you know what the vet says. :(

hillfooter

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 23:34 »
I've just had to put down one of my old Welsummers with this.  It's caused by an egg being 'laid' in the body cavity and setting up an internal infection which often proves fatal.  Amazingly the ovary (only one the left one I believe develops) isn't connected seamlessly to the oviduct but is coupled to it with a funnel like opening to the oviduct.  Eggs can fall into the body cavity if the duct is blocked for example.  Egg Peritonitis can be sterile or septic (infected with bacteria).  In the sterile form it is usually absorbed without causing any noticable symptoms but in the septic form it sets up an internal infection which causes the fluid which you can feel bloating her undercarriage.  Once this happens it is fairly advanced and internal organs can be infected fatally.  The only hope is to drain the fluid using a catheter and treat with a strong antibiotic injection such as Baytril.  Only a vet can prescribe an a/b.

Best of luck
HF
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 14:28 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

pammie

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 13:51 »
Thanks for your email Hillfooter, sounds very complicated to me, I think one would have to be quite an experienced chicken keeper to deal with that.  Nevertheless I will print it off and give it to the vet.  Sorry to hear about your chook.   I did take her to the vets this morning and she gave her an anti-inflamatory injection and she is now on baytril antibiotic.  Will see how she goes and fingers crossed.  Thanks everyone for your help. Pammie

hillfooter

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 14:33 »
Thanks for your email Hillfooter, sounds very complicated to me, I think one would have to be quite an experienced chicken keeper to deal with that.  Nevertheless I will print it off and give it to the vet.  Sorry to hear about your chook.   I did take her to the vets this morning and she gave her an anti-inflamatory injection and she is now on baytril antibiotic.  Will see how she goes and fingers crossed.  Thanks everyone for your help. Pammie

I can understand that you would be apprehensive abut trying to drain the fluid and you'd also need the equipment to hand and the antiseptic preparations.  I'd be apprehensive too.  Did the vet not drain the fluid?  I think she'd have a far better chance if any poison was drained and it also takes the pressure off her lungs and internal organs.

Best of luck anyway
HF

pammie

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 15:33 »
No she did not drain the fluid off. She wasn't quite sure what it was. Although she did say it wasn't egg peritonitis and she was not egg bound. I am speaking to her in a couple of days and see what she says about the article you kindly sent. Thanks again.

xx
Swollen abdomen?

Started by GrannieAnnie on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post July 22, 2011, 17:42
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Hen with swollen abdomen

Started by Miss Bean on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 22, 2010, 08:17
by Miss Bean
xx
chicken swollen abdomen

Started by andreas on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 09, 2011, 01:10
by hillfooter
xx
Where is a chicken's abdomen?

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 03, 2012, 08:58
by Casey76

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 38 queries.