Advice needed urgently

• 21 Replies

Kathie

• Experienced Member
Advice needed urgently
« on: October 23, 2010, 15:06 »
I am in a panic, 1 of our Indian Runners is unable to hold her head up, she is in a box in our bedroom after spending half an hour on OH's knee. 

Her heart beat was very fast but has slowed to normal now.  There are no signs of injury or sickness, can anyone tell me if there is anything we can do, is this a problem runners have? 

She is only 11 weeks old and we really don't want to lose her but neither do we want her to suffer.

Thanks in advance
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

compostqueen

Re: Advice needed urgently
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 15:13 »
I'd be ringing the vet as there's something clearly serious if she can't lift her head up  :(

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 15:20 »
Thanks Compostqueen,

We have rang vets and they are closed so OH has driven over to a farm that we know rents their cottage to one of the vets, unfortunately he was out, but we will go back later, not taking the little one though as car journey over bumpy tracks would stress her even more.

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 15:24 »
Yes, that's true. It sounds serious so keep trying. The local police will have the number of a local vet on duty, so I'd try that. I know this as I once found a half dead dog late one dark night. Why is it always the weekend when our kids and pets get ill  :nowink:

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 15:29 »
Thanks again, you're right it's always weekends.  Just rang OH to suggest he call into police station and you'll never guess what he found... it was closed!!  We are really isolated and today is the only time I've felt vulnerable and blooming useless (at the same time)

Will keep trying :(

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 15:38 »
Oh flippin eck! Phone your main one in town and the person on the desk can look in the book for you

Biguba

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 15:59 »
Hi Kath - Richard here. Is this a serious decline? Is she eating and drinking? Animals in our care do get and then get over illnesses but we all react... :)

bantam novice

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 16:04 »
So sorry to hear about your Indian Runner. I just wanted to say good luck.  I was wondering if you have tried Typing "emergency vet cover" or something similar into google or internet search engine? 

All the best
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 16:17 »
Thanks everyone,

Richard it was a serious decline as she was lying on her side and when we went to pick her up she stumbled away.  She was fine this morning, she ate and drank and splashed in her bath. 
Since we brought her in we have given her water with a syringe and she was very quiet.  OH has just checked on her and she wasn't happy about him picking her up so we have settled her and left her in peace for now.
Have spoken to vet and he has said he will call in sometime today, so all we can do is keep checking her, give her water and wait.

bantam novice

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 17:48 »
Good luck Kathie, everything crossed.  Keep us posted

orchardlady

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 18:52 »
This is what I was told on a previous post question about disease in the ground. I hope to goodness this is not what your duck has but it might be worth a bit of research. ie Google symptoms of...

Good luck.

"Organic material like wood chips etc if not dug out, can get anaerobic bacteria Clostridium botulinum (aka limberneck). Death is rapid."

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 21:51 »
Little one has gone, can't see to properly to type atm will give more info tomorrow.  I am so so sad

orchardlady

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 21:56 »
Ah Kathie. I'm so sorry.

compostqueen

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 22:05 »
I'm very sorry to hear that. Sounds like it was too late to do anything. From the sound of it, she was very seriously ill when you noticed that she wasn't supporting her head  :(

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 10:29 »
Thanks everyone,
Orchardlady, it was limberneck apparently due to poisoning.  I spent ages trawling net for info last night, also wracked my brain as to what we have outside that could cause this, then got a little tipsy, went to bed and had nightmares all night.

A relative whose neighbours breed runners told us that the same happened with their flock after eating cow feed. 

Have been walking round garden since 8am (in the mist) and can't find anything that can cause this.

The same thing happened to one of the babies when they were 6 weeks old so I know there must be something but can't understand why just 1 at a time had this. We are outside most of the time so will follow them around and check what they get up to today and hopefully will find the cause.

I feel so bad to think we have let them down

Thanks to everyone

xx
Advice urgently needed

Started by themagicaltoad1 on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post April 22, 2010, 08:24
by lisa80
xx
Ducklings and water, advice needed urgently

Started by Kathie on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 11, 2010, 18:06
by Caralou
xx
Help needed urgently

Started by maggiem on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post July 28, 2010, 22:52
by Jeanette
xx
Help Needed Urgently

Started by zoggett on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 02, 2010, 10:39
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 28 queries.