Battery hens

• 8 Replies

matilda duck

Battery hens
« on: January 04, 2009, 22:39 »
I'm thinking of getting a couple of battery hens....We have a spare coup :lol:  :lol:

I would like to teach the kids that not all chickens have such a good life as ours and would like to feel I was doing something good for a change.  Stupid question but where do you get them from????? :roll:  :oops:

Foxy

Battery hens
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 22:44 »
try here:

http://www.hr-uk.info/

this is the one I am involved with -should be a rehoming in January if I remember rightly -a lot of the farmers kept hold of their hens over Christmas so I think they are changing Jan/Feb

upert

• Experienced Member
Battery hens
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 23:23 »
The Battery Hen Welfare Trust rescues birds and gives them away free (though you can make a donation): http://www.bhwt.org.uk/

Mine have layed a lot of eggs for me and have given me hours of fun.

Blarney

• Experienced Member
Battery hens
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 12:43 »
I'm getting mine later this month from BHWT but I have been on the waiting list since May 2008.  I'd suggest putting your name down with an many organisers as you can.

I've already got four regular hens and thought I'd do my bit as i've got room.  Babe can provide their little coats in case they have the oven ready look!
Claire x

"Noise proves nothing. Often a hen who has merely laid an egg cackles as if she laid an asteroid.” Mark Twain

Debbie D

Battery hens
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 16:35 »
We got 4 from the BHWT last march and they are still going strong, we have had no problems with them at all and they are really friendly, nosey chickens.  The BHWT just asked for a 50p donation per bird, although people often give more as it seems a bit of an insult just paying 50p.

happy chick

• Experienced Member
Battery hens
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 16:35 »
The BHWT definitely recommend putting your name down with more ex batt rehomers than themselves as this way homes are given to the hens that come out first; whatever charity is co-ordinating the rescue!

Obviously, how soon you get your rescue hens also depends upon which region you live in as demand varies across the country.  We were lucky to get our girls within 4 weeks of contacting the BHWT.

Good on you, Matilda, for thinking about taking some on.  They tend to be so rewarding and friendly.  My Sophie follows me about the garden like a little dog when I let them out to free range.  I can't believe how tame and intelligent they are!   Adella x
Thoughts lead on to purposes; purposes go forth in action; actions form habits; habits decide character; and character fixes our destiny
                                         - Tyron Edwards

karlooben

Battery hens
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 16:45 »
i was quite lucky getting mine think i only had to wait a month. we have a rescue centre reasonably close to me that takes in 150 birds at a time and i paid £40 donation to the centre for 14 girls .

mine have been ill but i think thats just down to the weather  but i still think they make wicked pets and mine have only had the odd few days with only having a small amount of eggs .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Debbie D

Battery hens
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 16:51 »
Quote from: "Blarney"
 Babe can provide their little coats in case they have the oven ready look!

My mum knitted some jumpers for ours but they weren't too oven ready and to be honest they were big birds who would never have fitted into them.

Roll Roll

• Experienced Member
Battery hens
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 12:27 »
:D Thanks for the info everyone, your all very helpfull as usual :D  :D
I may take my time.....but i'll get there in the end.

STEVE

xx
2 ex battery hens

Started by alisonwo on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 11, 2009, 14:07
by andreadon
xx
ex battery hens

Started by primrose1 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 29, 2011, 17:20
by JACDORE
xx
Battery Hens

Started by skyblue on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 01, 2007, 16:26
by GrannieAnnie
xx
ex battery hens help

Started by rachelr on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 30, 2010, 21:50
by Thingy

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 36 queries.