Breathing problem

• 1 Replies

PaulineM

Breathing problem
« on: August 09, 2012, 15:37 »
Hi
Ruby my Welsummer that I raised from an egg last year seems to have a breathing problem  :(
This morning when I went to let them out of their stable I noticed that she had remained on the roost bar and was making a strange breathing noise. Her mouth was slightly open and she was making a dry raspy noise on the exhale. I thought perhaps it was stress as our cockerel had been crowing a bit more than usual this morning. I left her a few minutes and when I checked her she was outside but still making the noise. 20 mins later she seemed fine again, her mouth was closed and no noise.
However, I think there might be something going on, she is a little quieter than usual although still eating etc, sometimes her tail is down. Her comb is nice and red and I have just caught her and checked her for temperature and egg bound etc, but she doesn't seem to have anything like that. I could her her breathing when I was checking her over though.
She was wormed with Flubenvet in the spring and last layed 2 days ago so was expecting an egg today.
Any ideas or should I take her to the vet?

Just been to give the girls their afternoon wheat and there was Ruby in the middle, tail up looking absolutely fine. I scattered their corn thinking to myself how I must have been worrying over nothing when all of a sudden Ruby stopped foraging and opened her mouth and starting breathing funny again. I thought she was going to keel over so I ran in to get my husband out and when we came out again there she was pecking away fine again.

Am I panicking over nothing? Could it be the heat?

I think I will worm them all again to be sure  :(
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 16:20 by PaulineM »
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

grinling

Re: Breathing problem
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 00:04 »
how much ventilation is there in the coop? new bedding or need a change?
good idea to worm.

xx
breathing problem

Started by themagicaltoad1 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 11, 2012, 21:15
by themagicaltoad1
xx
Breathing problems

Started by Blarney on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 13, 2011, 23:13
by Pol
question
New Ex bat is having breathing problems - HELP!

Started by Blarney on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 11, 2011, 18:51
by Blarney
xx
Mouth breathing

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post January 23, 2010, 19:21
by cluckingnuts

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 33 queries.