Cover for the girls in the rain

• 6 Replies

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
Cover for the girls in the rain
« on: February 11, 2011, 13:46 »
I feel really sorry for my girls when it is raining like today, they all crowd into the house and I am wondering how to create a covered area in their run for them.  Does anyone have any pictures of theirs which might give me some ideas? thanks alison

Jeanette

Re: Cover for the girls in the rain
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 14:04 »
I have put a tarpauline over the run. Another thing i have done is to fix a large shelve that compleatlly covers the area outside the coup that keeps the food dry but is also large enough for the girls to get under it.  It also gives them somewere to be able to get onto giving them extra levels to get onto and it is more  interesting for them in the run.
I have put 3 of these shelves in the run and they love them but you have to have a run that that is large enough and that  you can stand up in.

Springlands

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 14:18 »
Mine have plenty of shelter but seem to like the rain - they love drinking the water that gathers in their sunbathing depressions. It was a different story with the snow though - they would not come out of the coup.

Blarney

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 15:49 »
We just built what we call their Bus Stop at the end of the run. All my husband did was add a 'box' onto the end of the run which is the same width and about 20 inches high.  He just cut away the galvanized wire mesh and then attached the box. They love it and they go in there when it's windy too. 
When they free range they just stand under the garden table.
xx
Claire x

"Noise proves nothing. Often a hen who has merely laid an egg cackles as if she laid an asteroid.” Mark Twain

carolbriar

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 16:14 »
We got some corrugated plastic which my oh made a frame and it is covered on top and two sides.  It is up against the coup so when they are under that they can get into the shelter.  We have a loose piece that half covers the outer end so that they can get in and out of it and also we can leave it open if it is very hot (its close to the fence for support).  We also have a large 31/1ft  square piece of very heavy wood which is up on posts and the hens food is under that.  It means they can use it as a shelter when it is very wet and they can also jump up onto it if they want.  We also have an old garden table which they like to get under and often sit there and just chill out.  They jump onto that sometimes!  Our run gets absolutely sodden in places and I am trying to raise the levels so they can get their feet dry.
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 17:31 »
They really do like their run to be on different levels!  We keep putting in pallets and perches etc so they can play "king of the castle".  Ours get under the coop & also like the childrens old climbing frame towers as these provide more sheltered spots.

We plan to keep adding interest and also building in different types of rain / wind / sun shelters
ManicMum

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 18:03 »
besides all the trees and hedging mine have an old landrover hard top and several old lorry wheel arches (these are plastic and the twin wheel ones are quite wide). You could try asking for some at your local road haulage place they may be pleased to just give you some - my OH replaced some on a couple of our lorries which is how I got mine  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Girls are loving the rain

Started by gracie on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 06, 2012, 06:45
by bood77
question
Rain,rain and more......what is the best surface to keep chickens on?

Started by mad mark on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post May 23, 2009, 21:13
by Sopho
xx
How much run should we cover?

Started by Raven81 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 22, 2011, 14:15
by Raven81
question
To cover the run,or not?

Started by funky chicken on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 19:30
by alisonwo

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 34 queries.