Floor of the Run - What do you use?

• 9 Replies

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
Floor of the Run - What do you use?
« on: April 24, 2011, 18:53 »
The girls moved into their newly built run extension a week ago, and now the ground is like a desert - stripped of anything vaguely green, and is now dusty.

We dont have too much flat ground, so dont plan to move the run around, so want to put something down -what do you use? I realise that just the soil will get muddy as soon as there is a significant rainfall.

Thanks for your replies in advance.

gracie

• Experienced Member
Re: Floor of the Run - What do you use?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 20:02 »
I await responses with interest as I intend to put my chicks in the run for an hour or so tomorrow for the first time. I am going to buy a couple of rolls of turf from B and Q, half a dozen paving slabs scattered. Some sand under the coop to entice them to dust bath there. In an earlier thread I remember reading about using stones but I need to find it to check what size to get. I also have some large logs to put in. I am hoping I will have everything covered. I can't wait to watch them

Planner

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 20:17 »
I have a permanent run for my girls, I use coarse chip bark (£3.99 a bag from B&Q). They will obviously kick it around but if you can put up with occasional sweep up then I find it the best. After a while you can turn it out and put it on the borders complete with built in fertiliser.
They love sctratching around in it
The man with a plan

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 20:21 »
I was thinking of bark - I seem to have a vague recollection of reading that some types of bark arent suitable, but cant for the life of me find out which!

They have dug themselves 2 big craters for dust baths (one has only arrived today!!) - it looks like they are planning the Great Escape!

ehs284

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 20:33 »
For the covered area of the run we use bark from B&Q, but for exposed areas use 20mm gravel which will wash. They'll dig dust baths in both, but keep clear when they're digging in the gravel :D

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 20:44 »
I have some of my run covered (for rain and to provide a bit of shade in the sun with a bit of stone for the girls to dry their feet off a little before they go into the coop but the majority is wood chip.  :)

needssomehelp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 21:52 »
i have straw on mine at the moment but plan to change it eventualy to bark, the straw seems to be working ok for now.
LISA X X X

Jacinta

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 23:34 »
Very interesting!  I have a fixed run too but as worried about disease building up.  I posted something the other day and i was left thinking i'd have to treat it with salistan f and dig it over every 2 weeks.  Does anyone have any suggestions if this is needed? No problem if it's needed, i'd just love to hear what other people do. Sorry for hijacking your post, i'm new and on a quest for knowledge for my girls welfare.

emmaellis

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 00:06 »
Hi,

I have hardwood chips (not bark) also from B&Q as couldn't get hold of a local tree surgeon willing to part with any! Its only available in the big warehouse stores and is £5 something a bag. I needed 6 bags for my 4x2m fixed covered run but it lasting AGES! I too was looking for a long lasting solution and found that hardwood chips were widely recommended.
I rake mine through with Stalosan every couple of weeks to keep things hygenic but the poop seems to just dry and vanish. I have even hosed it down before and it dries like a dream. No smell, no mess and the girls love it!

Regards,
Emma.

dennis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 11:21 »
i have a permanent run for my hens i dug all the soil out and replaced it with compost from my compost heap now every month i take a section of it out put that on my garden and replace it with fresh compost the hens love digging in it getting the worms out of it i turn it over once a week mixing in the chicken poo it makes it a very rich top dressing for the garden

xx
run floor

Started by samuria on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 13, 2015, 20:24
by grinling
xx
What do I Put on the Floor of the Run?

Started by Little Red Hen on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post March 09, 2009, 16:31
by smiler43
question
Run floor

Started by Oakdalebirds1 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 23, 2013, 21:42
by joolz68
xx
run floor

Started by Sadgit on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post August 01, 2007, 23:09
by Gloria

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 38 queries.