Allotments - Role and Responsibilities of the Site Rep

• 6 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Ours needs to be updated, it seems ::)
Have any reps here, got an up-to-date 'job description'? What's on it?
The question was asked - does anyone get any direct benefit for being a site rep - such as reduced rent, seed vouchers at the allotment store etc?  Here, we don't,  but no-one had a clue about other allotment sites?  :wacko:
Should our contact details/email address be viewable on the local allotment website?

Any pointers/advice for the next meeting would be great  :)

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: Allotments - Role and Responsibilities of the Site Rep
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 17:16 »
I think it varies massively dependant on the local authorities rules.
In our case, the site rep gets a 50% rent reduction.

Mr Dog

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 17:51 »
On mine the site 'secretary' gets a plot free. Whether it is earned or not is, of course, open to debate......

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 09:50 »
This is something we are looking at on our site... not updating, but starting out..... and a clear idea of the role would be very helpful. Believe it or not the subject was broached by the council's allotment officer!!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Christine

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 15:00 »
Our site reps keep in contact with all the plot holders, report jobs that need doing that aren't responsibility of plot holders (communal paths and such) sometimes referee unneighbourly disputes take these to committee, liaise if a plot holder suddenly dies or disappears (both happened on my site - such fun). We have regular bi-annual inspections by the committee which sometimes result in notices to cultivate or notices to quit. Letters are sent out by the secretary but often the site rep has to talk to the plot holder or meet the committee and the offending plot to ensure fair play. That can be interesting.

Mind, our site reps have all been co-opted to the committee so that they know what is going on. We are a self managed association on behalf of the town council.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 19:58 »
Site reps here are volunteers on behalf of the organisation that manages the allotments (formerly the council).

As a general rule, we:
  • Monitor the waiting list;
  • Show prospective tenants around the site;
  • Issue tenancy agreement forms to new tenants (but we don't deal with invoicing or any money stuff);
  • Grant permission to tenants wishing to erect a shed or greenhouse or keep livestock, including issuing and returning forms to the organisation - though we leave the question of bees to the organisation as there are additional requirements for these;
  • Notify the organisation about plots in a poor state of cultivation (but do not issue warning letters);
  • Help to keep allotment tenants informed of waste collections, site matters and forthcoming events by displaying up to date notices on the site board (I and the other site secretary on my site have also set up a gmail account for us to contact our tenants on issues such as raising awareness of recent anti-social behaviour);
  • Alert the organisation to any problems.

We have also liaised direct with the police & council about the recent ASB issues on site.

There is an allotment association that provides goods and services to its members (who are either private gardeners or have plots on sites across the city), and we are ex officio members on that committee.

In return we receive our own plot free and a small honorarium (depending on size of the site, I think) to cover phone and postage costs in carrying out our role.

The organisation arranges approx. two site secretary meetings a year, which are an opportunity to compare notes between sites and to learn from each other’s experience and to provide feedback to the Trustees of the organisation.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 19:59 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 21:16 »
Yorkie, that is spot on for what we need. Thank you very much indeed. I can now have a sensible conversation with our Council about this, and there are a few of us on our site who would be able to manage this together (We have a very large site)

A glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel ... hurrah!!

xx
Site not secure

Started by Dantheman on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post August 19, 2018, 13:24
by John
xx
nice to be back on site

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post August 22, 2018, 09:43
by rowlandwells
xx
Allotment on-site shop

Started by Plot Holder Paul on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post January 15, 2022, 17:20
by snowdrops
xx
allotments 4 you

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post November 10, 2018, 15:18
by Mr Dog

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 47 queries.