Why have my Tomatoe plants died

• 8 Replies

georget

Why have my Tomatoe plants died
« on: August 23, 2014, 10:01 »
About 3 weeks ago I noticed a couple of the  tomatoe plants turning yellow and thought it must be too hot so i started leaving the greenhouse open 24 hours a day thinking it must be getting too hot before being opened on a morning.Now all but one of the plants is completely dead as if they had been poisened.They are watered every night and fed once a week with comfrey tea nothing else.They are still LADEN with tomatoes and we,ve been eating them for weeks.I think it is down to being too hot does anyone have any thoughts?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Why have my Tomatoe plants died
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 10:05 »
What size pot are you growing them in, in a saucer or can the water just run straight through the pot?

Snoop

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 10:08 »
Very unlikely to be a question of heat when you consider the temperatures that tomato plants growing in greenhouses in the south of Spain have to cope with.

I'd look at other factors such as the ones that MoS mentions. Plus, of course, it may be very hot during the day but chilly at night.

georget

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 11:34 »
They are in Morrisons flower buckets which I used last year with great success but the water can run straight through however they never completely dry out.Its a fantastic crop on each plant,theres sungold,gardeners delight,tigerella,money maker,all done really well up to now.I think ill have to take off all the fruit and try and ripen it before it rots. As I said you would think they had been poisened.

Steveharford

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 15:48 »
Some of mine are starting to look the same. Just another case of early exhaustion I would guess. Just as what happened to my potatoes and marrows. Ive had really good crops  from them all so I reckon the plants have done all they can, earlier than normal. Its also feeling very 'septemberish' if you ask me so  maybe they are feeling the same.

georget

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 11:16 »
Ive just read in smallholder magazine that you shouldnt spray them or get the stems wet as this can cause blight.Googled blight and the images are the same as mine.Have to say I have sprayed them nearly every day,thought i was doing the the right thing but you live and learn.We have had a good crop up to now and i have another 6 plants in a different greenhouse that have had exactly the  same treatment and they seem ok.

Snoop

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 11:32 »
What a shame. But at least you know for next year.

It's not a situation I've faced, but you might want to Google or check this forum to see whether you need to treat your greenhouse to ensure spores don't survive and infect next year's plants.

georget

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 14:20 »
Good idea Snoop ill treat it anyway thanks for reminding me.

dugless

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 15:27 »
I put mine in open bottom pots on capillary matting the automatic watering system waters them at the same time every day. though to clarify that when I first put then in I water through the top Fed with my own mixture once a week  till they are well established and flowering then twice a week. not to tempt fate but I have had no problems.
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 47 queries.