Good and Bad news...... what to do?

• 13 Replies

sazzy123

• Experienced Member
Good and Bad news...... what to do?
« on: July 27, 2009, 23:41 »
The good news....... ill hopefully be moving house in a few weeks....... and there is a nice big garden with a space big enough to grow veggies...... :D

now the bad news......... i think ill have to give up my allotments as they are at the other side of the city! I have done alot of work to them..... :blink: i have sweetcorn, beans, trees and allsorts in them i have two plots and was thinking i could maybe just keep one....(the one with the fruit trees and shed....

what do i do?

The garden at the new house is quite shady so next year would need to plant stuff that doesnt like the sun.... any ideas???

sorry for long post...

Elcie

Re: Good and Bad news...... what to do?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 07:41 »
Excellent news on the new garden well done, I would love to have lots of space for raised beds at home, rather than my very small square foot gardening project in the front garden! 

I don't know what to say about the allotment it is a dilema for you.  I guess I would think about looking for a site nearer to home and putting my name on the list.  Even if it is a long one you will come to the top eventually and you don't know what you might be doing then.

With the ones you have now I guess you know how difficult it would be to get there.  How long is the journey and do you have a car?  Would you still be able to visit it regularly enough for it to be productive for you?

Good luck with the move.

crowndale

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 08:14 »
I think I'd be inclines to keep the one that needs less work (if arranged that way!), put my name donw on the list for the nearest allotments to your new home now (if allowed) and see how it goes.  I have a shady and rooty garden and can't grow enough to keep me happy even though its as big as my allotment.  most of it is turned over to roots, grass and moss!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

annie b

• Thinking of the Days
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 08:34 »
I'd definitely keep the plot with the fruit and the shed for a few years yet....I'm sure it would be economical when you think of all the fruit you'll be still be picking.

I pay £10 for my half plot...and even if i didn't grow anything else, i would still be quids in...because of all the blackcurrants and gooseberries.
Thinking of the Days

Noodles

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 11:52 »
I'd also keep the plot with the fruit trees and use it for low maintenance things like potatoes and garlic. That was it won't matter if you can only get over there once every week or 2.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 12:02 »
My local allotments have a rule where you have to give up the allotment if you move away from the local area.  I would check out if it also applies to yours.
Cheese makes everything better.

noshed

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 12:20 »
People from our site come from all over, they just have to pay a bit more if they're outside the borough. Hang onto one but make sure it doesn't get too neglected - not fair on the people on the waiting list.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 19:37 »
I think you need to be realistic about the amount of time you will remain committed to putting into two plots once you have a large garden to keep on top of, plus travel across the city.

I would decide what you can grow at home: whether you want / can grow fruit there instead of the plot, and whether there is room and sufficient sun for veggies there.

It might be worth retaining one plot, particularly of permanent planting and sheds, if that is going to be difficult to move.  But annual stuff can in reality be grown most places and you could wait until the end of the growing season before making a final decision.

It is in my opinion unlikely that you will be allowed to have full sized plots on two council sites at the same time in the future - there are hundreds on the lists these days and priority has to be given to those who have nothing.  So if you decide to retain one plot and put your name down on another site's list, you will need to give up the former plot once you accept a new plot.

P.S. Good luck with the move :-)  Which part of the city are you going to?

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sazzy123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 20:44 »
Thanks for your replies.... i have 2 half plots, one of which i share with my friend.  I have spoken to her and she would like to take that one on after the end of this year, so i am thinking i would like to keep the other (which has shed and fruit trees) and grow potatoes, onions, garlic and sweetcorn as well,....  my nan lives not so far from that one so i could go once a week ish....

I am moving from heworth to Acomb...... but have a car.  The allotment only costs me £16 a year so is worth keeping.  I guess the only way i will know if i can do it is after the move and i get back into routine.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 20:51 »
Ooh the gardens in Acomb are great  :)

Is your friend already a co-tenant of that one half plot?  If not, I'd suggest that you add her pronto.  Then, after she's officially been there a year, if you decide to give up the plot, she retains a right to it.  If she's not an official co-tenant then if you decide to give up, she has no right to stay on.  Gives her some protection - but also protects you because if that plot isn't gardened properly, and warning letters are sent out, there's no potential ramifications on your second plot (unlikely anyway but better safe than sorry).

NB this is assuming they are council plots - don't know the tenancy rules relating to any private / parish sites.

peterjf

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 23:49 »
hi , we travel 8 miles per day on the bus to reach our allotment plot, thats £17-00 each week ,

worth every penny i think ,

sazzy123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 10:54 »
Luckily my friend is on the tennancy and we will have had that plot a year in August so no problem there. 

There is alot to do with this moving lark lol  Im just wondering if i should transport my toms to new house, the have loads of fruit and person having our house isnt bothered...  some are in pots, growbags and 1 in the ground....

also would i be ok to move a plum tree - i only planted it in the garden 4-5 mths ago it growing nicely so would like to take it....would it survive?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 19:07 »
I would take the growbag and pot toms but leave the one in the ground

As for the plum tree, ideally this should be moved at the back of the year, I think.

However if you don't want to ask, or don't trust, the people who are moving into your current house, then you have nothing to lose by trying to take it with you when you move.  Water it heavily 24 hours before moving.  Take as big a root ball as possible (ensure they know a hole will be left behind!), wrap the roots securely in plastic or something to stop them drying out, and plant it out as soon as you can in a well-prepared hole with added compost. 

Water deeply as much as you possibly can for the first year, even if you don't think it needs water.

hamstergbert

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 18:43 »
If its roots are in the ground and not in pots etc then it is part of the property and you should only take it if the people who have bought the place agree to its departure, unless it is specifically excluded in the sale contract.
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

xx
Good News and Bad News

Started by Dawnte on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 07, 2009, 12:03
by Dawnte
xx
Good news for me.

Started by paul2004 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 21, 2007, 22:47
by Aunt Sally
xx
good news for beekeepers

Started by Rampant_Weasel on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 29, 2013, 16:29
by Rampant_Weasel
xx
Chickens invasion...good or bad news

Started by bomere on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 25, 2009, 15:53
by Bernard

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 28 queries.