Blackcurrants.

• 7 Replies

A Reyt Tayty

Blackcurrants.
« on: March 03, 2014, 10:12 »
Two questions:
Firstly, I've just got a nice Little blackcurrrant bush from a local cash and carry. Goes by the name of Ben Nevis. Would it do ok in a big pot, or does it need planting out? There is very little info on the tag.

I got it originally to to replace a flowering currant which I think is dead, but I don't want to out it unless I'm really sure it's done for, as I've had it a long time. I keep it to a hight of about 7 foot. So far this year it's shown no sighns of life. There are no buds on it whatsoever. Some of the branches are quite bendy as opposed to brittle, but TBH, it looks stone dead. So, do I out it, or give it a bit more time?

moose

• Experienced Member
Re: Blackcurrants.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 10:22 »
I have seen a blackcurrant bush in a pot but I'm pretty sure it would do much better in the ground. I do wonder if it is a good idea to put into the same place where you flowering currant bush has been, not clear from your post if that's what you are thinking of doing.

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 10:36 »
I have seen a blackcurrant bush in a pot but I'm pretty sure it would do much better in the ground. I do wonder if it is a good idea to put into the same place where you flowering currant bush has been, not clear from your post if that's what you are thinking of doing.

Yes. I intended to fill the gap. The flowering currant is in a line of shrubs, all of which are doing well, so I dont anticipate any problem by doing so.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 14:37 »
I have a Ben Nevis gooseberry, and I hope yours does better than mine. Mine is only 12" tall after 3 years and hasn't flowered once. You're sure yours is a black currant and not a gooseberry?

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 19:05 »
I have a Ben Nevis gooseberry, and I hope yours does better than mine. Mine is only 12" tall after 3 years and hasn't flowered once. You're sure yours is a black currant and not a gooseberry?

Definitely a blackcurrant according to the label.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 22:56 »
On the flowering currant, you could try the thumbnail test when the weather is a little more predictably mild - scrape away a very small amount of just the top layer of bark on the stem.  If it's brown, it's probably dead.  If it's white or green, it's still alive.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 08:46 »
Ben Nevis is an old variety of blackcurrant, that is very vigorous. It has a  fairly upright growth so should fit into your line of other plants fairly well.

As far as I know there is nothing to stop you planting it in the space your flowering currant leaves behind (if in fact it is actually dead - flexible stems sound like it might not be).

Because the blackcurrant is so vigorous it would need a decent sized pot to flourish I think.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 10:04 »
Thanks for the advice peeps.
I whacked it down yesterday. The only problem now is digging the root out! There was also a lot of dead wood on the hypericum which was next to it. At least I got that out of the way as well.

xx
blackcurrants

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post November 27, 2013, 09:58
by LilacSandy
xx
no blackcurrants

Started by newupthetump on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 14, 2018, 15:18
by Goosegirl
xx
Blackcurrants

Started by superluke2 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 05, 2011, 13:22
by whiskywill
xx
Blackcurrants

Started by andynberry on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 11, 2006, 06:19
by phaxl

Page created in 0.304 seconds with 38 queries.