Shallots
« on: June 06, 2016, 13:28 »
Why are the chips going yellow
image.jpeg
metal detector man

Trikidiki

Re: Shallots
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 22:54 »
If it has happened in the last couple of days I would suspect it is a lack of water. Although the ground may be damp if the root system is not well enough established to support the top growth in the hot weather we have had in the last couple of days something has to give.

I would give them a good soak in case it is that the ground is too dry or at least create a more humid atmosphere around the plants, I would expect new leaves to be ok unless the hot spell continues.

Just to cover the bases I would give them a feed if you haven't already and a dose of seaweed extract will cover for most trace elements.

mdjlucan

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 23:03 »
Can you tell me what feed or what type of feed  to give them please as this is a new allotment and I haven't grown these before thanks

Trikidiki

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 23:12 »
Yellowing of leaves is often due to lack of Nitrogen, so something with a high 'N' would be best but any general purpose fertiliser would work. By choice I would use a liquid feed so the nutrients are already in solution so easier for the plants to absorb. Anything solid will require moisture to dissolve the nutrients before it can get to the roots and then be absorbed.

You probably won't recover the tips of the leaves already affected but it will stop it getting an worse. The yellow tips you have will probably shrivel but the rest of the leaf should be ok.

AnneB

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 23:14 »
Can you tell me what feed or what type of feed  to give them please as this is a new allotment and I haven't grown these before thanks
To be honest, I manure the ground the previous autumn and that's it.   Mine quite often go yellow a little bit at the tips, but it doesn't seem to affect the crop.  If I was going to feed them anything I might give them as a first choice a seaweed feed or perhaps scatter some chicken manure pellets.  However, I think they will be OK.

xx
shallots

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 22, 2014, 16:44
by AnneB
xx
Shallots

Started by Babstreefern on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 09, 2011, 13:49
by Babstreefern
xx
shallots

Started by matty42 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 03, 2008, 09:10
by compostqueen
xx
Shallots

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 20, 2010, 02:34
by m1ckz

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 35 queries.