Red mite

• 1 Replies

Red mite
« on: March 31, 2008, 12:00 »
I have spent the weekend in the hen house, well I came indoors to sleep and think I have managed to fill all the cracks thanks to a couple of tubes of filler.  Is there anything else I can do to protect against mites before my beloved chooks arrive at the end of April?  Also do you use red mite treatment as prevention or cure (ie use it to stop getting mites or use it to get rid of em if you get em?). :?:

poultrygeist

Red mite
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 12:16 »
Both !

You use the red mite powder as a deterrant but if you get them you can use poultry shield to kill them off but then as a long term solution I believe diatom can be spread around the coop to kill them as they appear, as well as the eggs.

We've yet to encounter them but as the weather warms, it's likely to happen. All I've done so far is sprinkle red mite powder around and on the chooks.

You'll get some better advice shortly but that's as I understand it.

It's a big worry isn't it ?
I must say I have a good look every time I go for eggs or to clean out but I don't really know what I'm looking for other than what I've read or seen in photos.

I hope you're trouble free. As long as you follow the advice of the more experienced keepers, you'll not go far wrong.

Rob

xx
Ulti-mite red mite treatment

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 08:03
by ehs284
xx
Red Mite v Red Spider Mite

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 27, 2008, 20:03
by Miss Bean
xx
Is red mite the same as red spider mite?

Started by Carla on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 14:47
by Carla
xx
red mite

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 29, 2015, 13:12
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 38 queries.