onions

• 8 Replies

bravemurphy

onions
« on: January 11, 2014, 13:26 »
this is very interesting,  sTxJdVipt7o
I was under the impression not to give them too much nitrogen.

JayG

• Global Moderator
onions
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 13:59 »
I've had a quick look at some of his other videos - apparently the onions are fertilised with a high phosphate/low nitrogen fertiliser early on to promote root growth, and nitrogen later on to promote leaf growth.

Another video shows him chopping back the foliage at least once to reduce wind damage - he reckons (but is not sure) that this actually increases the size of the bulbs.

Interesting stuff, some of which, as you say, contradicts what we are usually told (maybe it's a Texas thy-eeng?!  :unsure:  ;))
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 14:01 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

bravemurphy

Re: onions
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 14:06 »
I think I will experiment with a row and see what happens.

Totty

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 15:23 »
I watched two of the vids, it would appear they were referring to salad/bunching onions. Not intended for bulbing or storing. I'm sure the application of nitrogen is beneficial for quick maturing onions intended for cropping as spring onions, but adding too much to onions that are for storing WILL lead to lots of them having lots of soft leafy growth which in turn means they won't store as well.

Totty

gypsy

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 15:57 »
While we are talking onions, does any one know if my brothers onions are likely to survive -16c he lives in USA and it has been very cold there
Catherine

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 22:23 »
Wintering onions normally are ok for a "normal" winter... theirs has been a bit OTT... He will find out soon enough.   :D
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 09:04 »
ON my plot not many make it through a 'normal' winter - that's why I don't grow them any more.

I think he really will need to start again when it thaws out.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 09:50 »
I've watched most of the inimitable Bruce Frasier's videos again (but not all at once - that slow Texan drawl tends to send me to sleep after 3 minutes, and some of his videos are 4 minutes long!  :lol:)

As far as I can tell they grow the "transplants", which look like bunches of salad onions, for selling on to be grown into mature individual onions, so the fertiliser regime Bravemurphy refers to may only be about getting them to that stage.

On balance, I think I'll just stick with the usual sprinkling of Growmore at planting out time!  ;)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 09:52 by JayG »

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 12:11 »
Those transplants are just seedlings sown and grown thickly and not potted on - then when they are 3mm thickness or so they are just dug up and planted. I do that as i never seem to have luck potting them on with a tiny weeny root!!

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 34 queries.