red cabbage

• 5 Replies

flowergirl

red cabbage
« on: October 17, 2007, 19:37 »
ok ive searched and cant find, ive chopped some red cabbage and covered it in salt for pickling do i boil the vinegar or just chuck it on over the cabbage in a jar?and is it pickling vinegar?ive also taken a slice out of my finger in the process but will not be putting that in with the cabbage :lol: im only allowed 1 sharp knife cos when i inevetably cut myself preparing stuff i bleed like a running tap! and can anyone tell me why my red cabbage went blue when steamed :? cheers

mushroom

Re: red cabbage
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 19:42 »
Quote from: "flowergirl"
and can anyone tell me why my red cabbage went blue when steamed :? cheers

the pigment making red cabbage red is red when conditions are on the acidic side, blue when on the basic/alkaline side. Kent is a hard water area, the water contains appreciable amounts of chalk and other carbonates, causing both temporary and permanent hardness. Though the carbonates are not transferred through steaming, I bet you splashed some water on them, causing them to go blue. Calcium and magnesium carbonate (the main carbonates causing hardness) are alkaline in solution.

this link explains it in a bit more detail.

muntjac

red cabbage
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 19:45 »
cos ur colour is diluted it goes purple ... pickled cabbage  is done raw
  put chopped cabbage in a bowl sprinkle salt in and then wiegh a plate down in the bowl to press down on it hard leave fer 48 hours my nana used to use the old iron .. iron
then wash it off n dry shove it in ya hot pickling jars with sugar n peppercorns mustard seed 1/2 teaspoon of each.then pour the white vinegar on em n close the lids tight .leave em fer a month before ya try it  :wink:
still alive /............

gobs

red cabbage
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 19:51 »
IMHO and regular experience red cabbage: + salt= blue, add vinegar= back to purplish. :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

flowergirl

red cabbage
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 20:10 »
ok just went to put something heavy on the tray and the salt has gone green :shock: its like a weird science experiment!!

gobs

red cabbage
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 20:19 »
It is, you can play it with beet root as well, I just can't remember what you put on them and then they go yellow. Fun with vegetables. :D

xx
How much can you do with 1 cabbage?

Started by Mosslane on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post September 13, 2011, 09:33
by Mosslane
xx
What can I do with red cabbage?

Started by Oliveview on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

19 Replies
Last post May 19, 2012, 07:56
by Oliveview
xx
Red Cabbage?!

Started by Lewjam on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post February 26, 2010, 07:15
by Swing Swang
xx
Freezing Cabbage.

Started by Potiron on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post July 09, 2009, 16:12
by Potiron

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 39 queries.